GPS with these features

GeoJoe227

I am new to geocaching and looking in the market for a cheaper and basic but efficient GPS. Features I would like to have are a compass, able to enter coordinates, good battery life, waypoints, and as accurate as can be. Maps are not a big concern nor is detail of the maps basically just your basic simple to use GPS that's accurate and that I can punch coordinates into.

Thanks

Clarified: Just about every GPS I've ever owned has had a "compass screen" that could figure out direction when you were moving.

eTrex 10 does not have an electronic compass that can show which way is north when you're standing still. Few lower-costs units do.

Some people think the electronic compass is nice to have, or even essential, for geocaching. It's not enough to say "It's 20 feet north of you," they also need it to say "north is THAT way, over there."

You know your needs best. But if it is me, I would pick paperless over maps any day, and I would give up electronic compass without thinking twice if budget is a concern. So the eTrex 10 is a good choice.

I have found maps to be very useful for urban caching, however. When the GPSr reads 150 ft off because you're in between tall buildings, the map can show you where the cache is supposed to be - assuming the hider's coordinates are accurate, of course. So if $185 (street price) is not prohibitive, consider the eTrex 20.

I'm not sure if there will be any sales during Black Friday. The Oregon 450 was going for $200 after rebate recently at REI. If it drops below $200 again I'd probably give in to the inevitable and buy one to replace my Oregon 300.