Offline maps with iPod Touch

muncle56

I use an etrex as my main GPSr and an iPod Touch to go paperless. I've been using the (free) app Geo Bucket to store all the cache info. The problem is that whenever I'm out of WiFi range (which is always, when I'm caching) I lose the maps. Is there an app that will let me store the maps for offline use? I've been reading a lot about the "official" app and also about Geosphere. Will they do it? For an entire pocket query?

There are numerous apps for iPhone and iPod Touch that store maps from various sources for offline use. Hit appshopper.com or the iTunes AppStore directly and search on phrase, "offline maps." Some download USGS topos, some use OpenStreetMaps, others have their own sources. The problem I find is not a lack of maps but too many to choose from.

Edited by Portland Cyclist

There are numerous apps for iPhone and iPod Touch that store maps from various sources for offline use. Hit appshopper.com or the iTunes AppStore directly and search on phrase, "offline maps." Some download USGS topos, some use OpenStreetMaps, others have their own sources. The problem I find is not a lack of maps but too many to choose from.

Thanks, I'm looking for something along the lines of OpenStreetMaps as I already have topo maps on my etrex. Can you give me the names of a few apps that you've found to be the best?

Best for me might not be best for you, but ...

Motion-X GPS... http://appshopper.com/navigation/motionx-gps

Offmaps2... http://appshopper.com/navigation/offmaps-2

You could also search/browse the iTunes app store or AppShopper.com and read product descriptions there to see if something seems like n especially good fit to your needs.

Edited by Portland Cyclist