Crime wave victimizing hikers comes to an end

Packanack

http://www.northjersey.com/news/132605918_Bloomingdale_police_arrest_two_in_connection_with_recent_crime_spree.html

Norvin Green State Park is the site of repeated episodes of break ins over the years. The Otterhole was a particularly lousy place to park. When I saw this article I thought that perhaps if any of our clan had been victimized they might want to check with the local authorities to see if any of their gear might have been recovered. Recently , my own car was broken into--they stole an auto gps that they probably got 10 bucks for, but it cost me 265 for the window.

Yikes! We just made a trip to Norvin Green last May, and the Otter Hole was one of the places we parked. Thankfully we weren't victimized.

On a side note, in seven years of geocaching I've parked in both public and remote places all over the country. The only two times my truck has been broken into was in the parking lot of a large hospital in Phoenix (during the day) and on East 76th Street in Manhattan. The New York thieves popped my window and broke my dash to steal a radio that they probably got $3 for. There was a coffee can on the floor with probably $40 in change left untouched.

Yikes! We just made a trip to Norvin Green last May, and the Otter Hole was one of the places we parked. Thankfully we weren't victimized.

On a side note, in seven years of geocaching I've parked in both public and remote places all over the country. The only two times my truck has been broken into was in the parking lot of a large hospital in Phoenix (during the day) and on East 76th Street in Manhattan. The New York thieves popped my window and broke my dash to steal a radio that they probably got $3 for. There was a coffee can on the floor with probably $40 in change left untouched.

Some years ago a friend of mine had his car broken into on Clinton Road in NJ while he was hiking. He returned to a smashed window. The only thing missing from the car was 2 six packs of warm Budweiser that were on his back seat. His wallet and credit cards were still there, along with all of his CDs, his CD Walkman (tells you how long ago this was) and an envelope in the glove compartment with $100 cash.