Second hand UK with a £100 budget?

craynerd

Hello

For the last month we`ve been using my HTC Wildfire but it is now driving us CRAZY! We quite fancy having a dedicated GPSr as knowing nothing about them, we presumed it would be like my HTC app but a dedicated unit with no functional issues. Obviously, we very quickly realised this was not the case and unless we were spending a lot of money, we wouldn`t have half the functions that we currently have but of course a more accurate GPS.

We do a lot of caching with our family so a lot of them a spur of the moment but my HTC is so unreliable that it is becoming unejoyable - freezing mid search, telling us we are 5m away and then deciding that is 35m away.

We think we`ve accepted that the "find local caches" won`t happen on a GPSr (realising that that is via internet connection which I didn`t even think about!!) and so I am still happy that I want a dedicated unit. A local cacher said he used a Oregan 200 and got it for £100 on ebay. I`ve just been on ebay and, typically, this unit is not listed! Has anyone got any other recommendations to a second hand sub £100 unit...or something boarding on this price that would be a good deal if we picked it up for <£100

Obviously, the unit needs to be better than my HTC Wildfire and I`d also like a map function and most importantly, somewhere to store the data associated with the cache, i.e description and hints, if this is possible.

Any recommendations...I`m in the UK

Many thanks.

Mr and Mrs Craynerd

Edited by craynerd

Hi,

Any suggestions. I`ve been caching today in York and am now ready to throw the phone into the river....well, OK, just use it as a phone!!

You could look at the Dakota models; the Dakota 10 can be had for around 150 quid from Amazon right now and it does paperless caching as well as it has the ability to use OSM maps (not OS ones due to limited memory).

Don't expect the same functionality as your phone as none of the dedicated GPS receivers have any useful form of wireless or GSM (phone) connectivity. You will have to pre-load a GPX file (that contains cache data) onto it for the area you plan to cache in, before you go there.

If you want a bit more flexability (at a cost) look at the Dakota 20, Oregon 450 or later models.

Hope this helps?

Regards,

Martin

Edited by talkytoaster

Sent you a email,

and as what Talky toaster says :)

but i will say that the erratic nature of the signal is part of the game.

if you were in York the buildings will have interferred with the signal I can remember not even getting a sgnal in the shambles on my yellow etrex and having to hunt using the hint and common sense, ( it still resulted an a couple of DNFs)

I very much doubt you will find anything for under 100 quid with your wish list,

combining uour smartphone for the mapping and cache pages and a GPS unit for acurate following the arrow is probably the best combination.

Edited by bargee