Beta Maps v Iphone App

JimJoolz

While disabled caches show on the beta maps, the icon is grayed out where it is normally white, so it's obvious which are disabled. And I don't think they should be removed, since one thing I think people use the map to do is look for places to place a cache. A cache that is disabled still applies for proximity guidelines, since the intent is for the CO to fix whatever issue there is and enable the cache again. The iPhone app on the other hand is being used to find caches, so there wouldn't seem to be a need to see a disabled cache. (It's method of getting caches via the API I think is more like a pocket query.) A filter that could be turned on for those that don't want to see disabled caches might work.

While disabled caches show on the beta maps, the icon is grayed out where it is normally white, so it's obvious which are disabled. And I don't think they should be removed, since one thing I think people use the map to do is look for places to place a cache. A cache that is disabled still applies for proximity guidelines, since the intent is for the CO to fix whatever issue there is and enable the cache again. The iPhone app on the other hand is being used to find caches, so there wouldn't seem to be a need to see a disabled cache. (It's method of getting caches via the API I think is more like a pocket query.) A filter that could be turned on for those that don't want to see disabled caches might work.

Must admit, I hadn't thought about it like that, and you are right. It's just annoying to me at the moment because on my map, I have about 7 caches within a couple of miles of my home, where the owners have clearly stated they will not be repairing the caches after being muggled numerous times, and remained disabled after months of stating as such. I suppose this is a problem with the reviewer more than the map.

Reviewers do not get notices about caches being disabled, that's what Needs Archived is for. However, I took a look at caches near your hide on the map and saw some disabled ones, and the three I brought up all show a note from a reviewer stating that if they don't hear from the CO that the caches will be archived. So it seems that reviewer did a sweep for disabled caches (which some do, though it's not required of them) and discovered those caches. So those disabled caches may be going away in the not too distant future.

Reviewers do not get notices about caches being disabled, that's what Needs Archived is for. However, I took a look at caches near your hide on the map and saw some disabled ones, and the three I brought up all show a note from a reviewer stating that if they don't hear from the CO that the caches will be archived. So it seems that reviewer did a sweep for disabled caches (which some do, though it's not required of them) and discovered those caches. So those disabled caches may be going away in the not too distant future.

I didn't know that the reviewers don't get a notification of disabled caches, hopefully they will get archived in the not too distant future. They have been in that state for sometime now, especially as they clearly state they won't be repairing them.

Thanks for your repsonse on this.