Logging DNFs as Found

Seganku

As I see it, if I don't find the cache, I don't log a find - I do not know whether the obvious place a cache could be *is* where it should be and it is missing, or a red herring and the cache is in its proper home. If after the fact I speak to the owner, explain where I thought it should be and he agree's I was in the right place and the cache missing and offers me the find than that is something different.

As for replacing the cache, again, a definite no for me - if the cache is still there and I just failed at finding it, all I have done is confuse matters and added a wrongly placed cache for others to find. At the same time I will say that replacing a damaged cache with an appropriate equivalent is a nice idea, assuming you have the damaged one in hand and replace it as is.

In the end for me though, I don't really care whether I get a smiley or not - for me the numbers are only a marker of where I have been, not the main reason for doing it. If I log a DNF it makes no difference to my day of wandering about outdoors searching...

I put out the GATES OF GREENWICH series in London and I had a guy from Germany get really upset with me because he found the right ground zero, but the cache wasn't there.(It hadn't been muggled, but was most likely in the hands of other cachers when he looked.) I deleted his FOUND log because he simply hadn't found the cache. Doh. He emailed me and was quite upset. After an exchange of emails, his tone became more friendly and I allowed him to log his non-find. He was from Germany and did not expect to have another chance any time soon.

I too find it odd that anyone would think they should be able to log a cache that they haven't found - I never would - but there you go.