Placing caches in Ocotillo Wells

The Fossillady

Our friendly park interpreter Jeff has asked for our help in spreading the word about a new project that will effect new and old hides within the park. Here is a quote from an email he sent.

"Well, it turns out that one of our resource projects is requiring us to remove the Tamarix (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamarix) trees/bushes from all of our washes within the park. The contractor has been working for the last two weeks on this 4 yearlong project to remove this invasive species and has already found many caches that have been hidden within these trees/bushes! The contractor has re-hidden the caches in the nearby rocks and native vegetation. Would you be able to help me spread the word that from now on hiding a cache in tamarix is not such a good idea, and that if you have one hidden within tamarix already, you might want to move it?"

Just helping spread the word.

Our friendly park interpreter Jeff has asked for our help in spreading the word about a new project that will effect new and old hides within the park. Here is a quote from an email he sent.

"Well, it turns out that one of our resource projects is requiring us to remove the Tamarix (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamarix) trees/bushes from all of our washes within the park. The contractor has been working for the last two weeks on this 4 yearlong project to remove this invasive species and has already found many caches that have been hidden within these trees/bushes! The contractor has re-hidden the caches in the nearby rocks and native vegetation. Would you be able to help me spread the word that from now on hiding a cache in tamarix is not such a good idea, and that if you have one hidden within tamarix already, you might want to move it?"

Just helping spread the word.

So are they the spiny bushs?

Looks like Skillet will be busy moving caches. :laughing: Those trees make some good hiding spots. Thanks for the heads up Fossillady, we will try to help out too in moving caches in the future and updating coords for the hiders. One of our favorite places to cache as this is the place where we were introduced to caching. We like to call Ocotillo "SKILLET COUNTRY" :D since he has more caches then anyone out there. We have a blast hunting them.

Hello,

Thank you Fossillady for posting this on the forums! Here are a few pictures of Tamarix/Tamarisk/Salt Cedar that might help you identify it while out in the field. As always, if you have any questions, please feel free to send me an e-mail @ JLPrice@parks.ca.gov .

~Jeff

OilWellareaTamarisk003.jpg

OilWellareaTamarisk058.jpg

OilWellareaTamarisk016-1.jpg

The first picture likes just like the place I put one in Tule wash .000201ED.gif At least the aren't throwing them away.

Hello,

Thank you Fossillady for posting this on the forums! Here are a few pictures of Tamarix/Tamarisk/Salt Cedar that might help you identify it while out in the field. As always, if you have any questions, please feel free to send me an e-mail @ JLPrice@parks.ca.gov .

~Jeff

The first picture likes just like the place I put one in Tule wash .000201ED.gif At least the aren't throwing them away.

Oh No! most of our caches are in "trees" just like that. They make great cache hiding spots! Looks like a cache run to Fault Wash and the others right beside that one is in order. Drats!

Hello,

~Jeff

I was thinking the same thing Skillet looks like we have some moving in store for us.