How to rate the difficulty of a puzle

I have just put out 2 puzzle caches recently. Thay are easy to find nd I thought to solve. One of them (what I thought was most difficult) has been found the second I am asked for nudges for as it is hard to solve

Any Rating advice?

Bob - Im not back, thhought I WAS BUT THE QUACKS SAY NO >gRRRR

Just had a quick look at these two, and one of your previous caches.

You've rated Nostalgia as D1.5, where it only consists of a paragraph of text, I didn't read it but I expect the cacher is expected to work out some numbers from either the content, the word counts, or something like that, but it's not clear what you['re supposed to do with the text.

You also have another D1.5 puzzle, Pub Quiz,(now archived) where the puzzle is something like A= number of animals on the ark, B=something else, C=another question, this is very straighforward and it's abundantly clear what's required, and the answers can be found with a minimum or research.

Do you really think these two are equally difficult? I reckon Pub Quiz is probably correctly rated, so Nostalgia should be more difficult, and by your inference Alternate Reality should be more difficult than that.

Don't forget any puzzle is easy if you know the answer!

Edited by MartyBartfast

I was under the impression that the D rating has nothing to do with the puzzle itself but only the difficulty of finding the cache ie A tough puzzle with a big ammo box under a lone tree in a field would score a low difficulty rating.

We've got a puzzle out at the moment which is rated that way (its not under a tree, or an ammo box though!!)

Cheers

I was under the impression that the D rating has nothing to do with the puzzle itself but only the difficulty of finding the cache ie A tough puzzle with a big ammo box under a lone tree in a field would score a low difficulty rating.

We've got a puzzle out at the moment which is rated that way (its not under a tree, or an ammo box though!!)

Cheers

The guidelines/knowledge book is vague on this Link but I think generally the difficulty of the puzzle is considered as part of the cache difficulty. With a puzzle cache, solving the puzzle is one of the tasks needed to find it.

It's open to interpretation, but I would factor both the difficulty of the puzzle and the difficulty of the hide into the D rating.

Rgds, Andy