Help

Ti974

Hi everybody,

I'm very new to geocaching...so new i don't know what to look for!

I'm in Tokio right now for job, and i've found the "Love accomplishment" place... But only the place...:-(

I really don't know what to do and what to expect...

Is there anyone of you that has been there that could help me?

Tnks

Hi everybody,

I'm in Tokio right now for job, and i've found the "Love accomplishment" place... But only the place...:-(

Tnks

Hi everybody,

Tnks

I haven't been to that cache, but you can use the information on the cache page to help you figure it out- which is a really good tip for learning how to find geocaches early on in your geocacher career:

1. It's listed as a "micro" size cache. So this could be something the size of a film canister, a bison tube, a magnetic "hide-a-key," or potentially a "nano" which is somewhat bigger than a pencil eraser and magnetic.

2. Reading through the logs, a lot of people talk about muggles eating lunch or sitting at the cache location. So this could mean that the cache is possibly at or near a bench or a picnic table.

Taking that information, I would use my GPS to get me as close to the coords as possible, and then start by looking/feeling underneath benches or picnic tables to see if it's a magnetic cache attached to the underside- on metal joints. If I didn't find it at one of those places, I would expand to nearby potentially hiding spots and look there.

Good luck! I hope you find it! :)

Edited by redwoodkestrel

Thank's for your reply,

I'll go there again and look under the bench.

The info say that it's a micro one, and the photos confirm that I'm in the right place, but i have to confess that, the security camera and the japanese seated looking at me, have made me a little shy...:-P

I don't give up!

Thanks again

Many micros can be very difficult, especially for new cachers. I recommend you look for some larger caches first.

Don't get discouraged if you do not find this one right away.

Agreed but look harder. If it has heaps of favourite points it means its good and probably camoed. A fluro vest helps in these situations

Many micros can be very difficult, especially for new cachers. I recommend you look for some larger caches first.

Don't get discouraged if you do not find this one right away.

Agreed but look harder. If it has heaps of favourite points it means its good and probably camoed. A fluro vest helps in these situations

Hi everybody,

Tnks

I'm not in Tokyo, and I'm not familiar with the specific cache you mentioned. Geocaches, especially ones in urban areas, can sometimes be very small conatiners with nothing more than a slip of paper to sign. The cache page usually gives some indication as to the size, and difficulty of the cache.

If you look at the top of the cache page there will be a difficulty rating on a scale of 1 to 5 stars. 1 being the easiest, 5 being extremely difficult. The cache size is on a scale of micro to large. Micros will be anything from a 35mm film canister to a tiny nano that's that size of a fingernail. Pretty much anything that cannot hold and trade items. Regular size caches, by comparison, are usually ammo boxes or other weatherproof containers.

You also might want to make sure that it's not a multi-cache, or a puzzle. Multi caches often involve finding a set of coordinates at the location that will take you to another location. Puzzles will use fake coordinates and require that you solve some sort of puzzle to figure out the real coordinates.

Yes, the one you named is a micro... very small and easily concealed in a myriad of different places.

For starters try some a little bigger like this one: Astronomical clock and LOVE

It is less than 500m NE of the one you are trying for, and is larger, with easier Difficulty/Terrain ratings.

The logs say that it is wet inside, but right now, you need to be able to find it, rather than to worry about the contents. It should be much easier. Take along a fresh sheet of paper and pencil with which to log with.

Look for those larger than micros to begin with. Once you get the idea of how they may be hidden, and what to expect, the others will be a bit easier -- at least somewhat easier. Even the most experienced cacher cannot find them all.

Read the logs online before attempting to find the caches. Many of the logs will tell you if they are easy to find, or not. Just remember, that most of those logs were put there by others that have had much more practice at finding. What is "easy" is mostly a matter of experience.

Good luck, and welcome.

A common recommendation for beginners is to stick with small small.gif size, regular regular.gif size, and large large.gif size caches. Until you're more experienced, avoid micro micro.gif size caches, some of which are smaller than most beginners can imagine (sometimes called "nanos"). Save those for later, after you have some experience.

Also, stick with caches that have a difficulty rating of no more than 2 stars stars2.gif. Save the more difficult ones for later. You may also want to choose caches with easy terrain ratings. (The difficulty rating tells you how hard it is to find the cache once you get there. The terrain rating tells you how hard it is to get there.) And it is often best to start with traditional 2.gif caches, which will be at the published coordinates. Multi-caches 3.gif or mystery/puzzle caches 8.gif or other cache types can require more work just to figure out where the container is located.

Under ideal conditions, a consumer GPSr will be accurate to about 3m (10'). That applies both to your device, and to the cache owner’s device, so you may find the container 15-20' from ground zero under ideal conditions. Under less than ideal conditions, both GPSr readings can be much less accurate. Once you get within that distance of ground zero, put your device away and look around for places where a container could be hidden.

Go ahead and read the cache's additional hints (if provided), and read the past logs and look at any photos in the cache's image gallery. They may help you understand what you're looking for, and how/where it may be hidden. It may also help to look at some of the cache containers available online. For example, check out the cache containers sold by Groundspeak. Also, take a look at the Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's) thread in the forums.

A common recommendation for beginners is to stick with small small.gif size, regular regular.gif size, and large large.gif size caches. Until you're more experienced, avoid micro micro.gif size caches, some of which are smaller than most beginners can imagine (sometimes called "nanos"). Save those for later, after you have some experience.

Also, stick with caches that have a difficulty rating of no more than 2 stars stars2.gif. Save the more difficult ones for later. You may also want to choose caches with easy terrain ratings. (The difficulty rating tells you how hard it is to find the cache once you get there. The terrain rating tells you how hard it is to get there.) And it is often best to start with traditional 2.gif caches, which will be at the published coordinates. Multi-caches 3.gif or mystery/puzzle caches 8.gif or other cache types can require more work just to figure out where the container is located.

Under ideal conditions, a consumer GPSr will be accurate to about 3m (10'). That applies both to your device, and to the cache owner’s device, so you may find the container 15-20' from ground zero under ideal conditions. Under less than ideal conditions, both GPSr readings can be much less accurate. Once you get within that distance of ground zero, put your device away and look around for places where a container could be hidden.

Go ahead and read the cache's additional hints (if provided), and read the past logs and look at any photos in the cache's image gallery. They may help you understand what you're looking for, and how/where it may be hidden. It may also help to look at some of the cache containers available online. For example, check out the cache containers sold by Groundspeak. Also, take a look at the Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's) thread in the forums.