ETREX 20 - Adding custom waypoint symbols

ngrrfan

With my eTrex Venture HC I could take the custom portion of the waypoint symbols and edit them to something I liked. For example I had a different style open treasure chest for my caches, and another style open treasure chest for my partner's caches. Using those custom symbols meant they would never get deleted when I deleted all geocaches by the normal geocache symbol.

Now with the 20 I'd like to load those symbols into the waypoint icon table and use them again but I don't see a way to do that.

Anybody got any ideas??

With my eTrex Venture HC I could take the custom portion of the waypoint symbols and edit them to something I liked. For example I had a different style open treasure chest for my caches, and another style open treasure chest for my partner's caches. Using those custom symbols meant they would never get deleted when I deleted all geocaches by the normal geocache symbol.

Now with the 20 I'd like to load those symbols into the waypoint icon table and use them again but I don't see a way to do that.

Anybody got any ideas??

There is a GSAK macro that will allow you to load custom symbols. I used when I had my 60CSx. You should be able to edit the symbols in Paint or other similar programs.

Try Garmin POI CSV Export

Edited by Triple Crown

The new eTrex 20 uses the newer architecture (ala Colorado, Dakota, Oregon, 62, Montana), not the old architecture. Further, GSAK does not yet know of the eTrex10/20/30 models.

The newer architecture models have a new approach to storing and using custom icons. The eTrex20 will likely follow along the lines of the way these other newer units do this. Seems this thread http://forums.Ground...howtopic=252104 deals with trying to manage those icons from Basecamp, and this thread talks about building them for the GPS http://www.gpsfix.net/custom-symbols/

Edited by ecanderson