Page Fonts

Tyzone

Second the above.

Problem with trying to use different fonts on a web page is if you use a font that the viewer doesn't have on their computer. They see nothing, or the computer uses a default font, which then means the cacher can't do the puzzle, or gets the wrong answer...

There are lists of fonts that are common to most computers known as HTML Safe Fonts. A quick google search will lead to dozens of sites that list the most common fonts.

If you've created your own font then following the others instrucitions is really your only option. I did something like that on this cache. I made the written part of th epuzzle using a script font that I liked in Microsfot Paint, saved the file as a jpeg and then inserted to jpeg into the cache page using the standard methods. Feel free to copy my technique by viewing the source.

Have Fun!

There are lists of fonts that are common to most computers known as HTML Safe Fonts. A quick google search will lead to dozens of sites that list the most common fonts.

So-called "safe fonts" go back to before the time of smart phones, Nuvis, and other paperless devices. Do you know if they also honor safe fonts?

So-called "safe fonts" go back to before the time of smart phones, Nuvis, and other paperless devices. Do you know if they also honor safe fonts?

I don't know, but I would assume yes since I have never encountered an unreadable cache page on my smart phone other than ones that utilized poor color choices with regards to the background. The style of the Font is not usually an issue.

I don't know, but I would assume yes since I have never encountered an unreadable cache page on my smart phone other than ones that utilized poor color choices with regards to the background. The style of the Font is not usually an issue.

It wouldn't be unreadable. As you said, if the font wasn't available, the browser would fall back to a default font.

I have never encountered an unreadable cache page on my smart phone other than ones that utilized poor color choices with regards to the background.

I would ask the OP to mention that different fonts are used, or that the page should be viewed in particular browsers or whatever. A common "paperless" GPSr may show it all in a single font, which might make the puzzle look solvable, when it's not, depending on the puzzle.

There was a puzzle cache that merely used a formula including "X2", which displayed as "X2" on a Garmin Oregon. It looked pretty simple on screen, like "X times two" (or maybe a number followed by the number 2), but it was actually "X to the power of two". Please give a little heads-up if you use any text that may be misleading if converted to all standard text.

Edited by kunarion

It wouldn't be unreadable. As you said, if the font wasn't available, the browser would fall back to a default font.

Sorry, goes to show what I know. Apparently not, I almost always utilize Verdana as the font for my cache write ups. It's a nice bold block style font that is a Safe Font. I just checked one of my cache pages on my phone and it looks like Halveltica on there and so I would say that phones must utilize some other criteria than what is in my computer web browser