My geocoin now owned by another cacher

wesgo66

I have a question. I had sent out a geocoin, it was activated,logged and placed in a cache. I noticed that it had not moved from the cache where I placed it. Checking the logs I saw that another geocacher had retrieved it, and upon further checking I saw that he had the coin under his/her trackables. While it's not lost and has moved which is good. How can someone activate an already activated geocoin and claim ownership? Did I do something wrong in the activation?

Thanks for your help, or any suggesstions.

Bill

Note that on the trackables tab in the profile, there's two sections, the left one is the trackables moved or discovered, and the right one is the trackables owned.

What dfx said. Also on the trackable's page, go in and make sure you don't have it set to 'Collectable'. That should :rolleyes: keep someone from adding it to their collection, and keep it moving...

It's not possible someone took over the coin. Not even when that someone would know the activation code.

Once it is activated, you can't activate it again. As the owner, you get the message that you are welcome to make changes to the coins properties, but that it has been activated already.

When you are not the owner, you simply get the message it has already been activated.

So when the coin icon appears in the right column of the trackables it might be because he owns an other coin of this kind.

Ok my reference number is TB2MG19, the other cachers reference # is TB2MG1B. That's what makes no sence to me, I would think that each geocoin made would have its own unique activation code. It's not a big deal but just trying to find out if I did something wrong, which by all the replies I cant see where I did. Seems like the other cacher put in the number on the coin (tracking number) and was able to get an activation code.

this is strange!! if you see the other trackable... the owner discovered it!!! The fist log is that he discovered it in the cache you drop the coin.... This is.... :blink:

GermanyBert.... you saw 2 different coin with the same tracking number?? oups! so what happens if someone activates one?? It shows that he owns the other? and... what about the icon?

I would accept the coin to be the same... the first was an error coin... they were remade.... I have coins like that.... special gift from a very good friend! None of them or their origilan are out or going to!!!

But different coins.... is there a possibility that one was a sample... that the tracking number was put later... and there was a mistake there? :huh:

Edited by GATOULIS

Ok my reference number is TB2MG19, the other cachers reference # is TB2MG1B. That's what makes no sence to me, I would think that each geocoin made would have its own unique activation code. It's not a big deal but just trying to find out if I did something wrong, which by all the replies I cant see where I did. Seems like the other cacher put in the number on the coin (tracking number) and was able to get an activation code.

how many of those coins you own?

What I see is two travelers that one reference number ends with 9 and the other ends with B. The B owner discovered their own 'Event coin' saying they saw it at your cache and then moved it to some other cache. The 9 coin is owned by you and was Dropped in our cache.

Beyond that I don't see a problem.

Perhaps I'm missing some details.

"What I see is two travelers that one reference number ends with 9 and the other ends with B. The B owner discovered their own 'Event coin' saying they saw it at your cache and then moved it to some other cache. The 9 coin is owned by you and was Dropped in our cache."

It is the same coin, there is only one, if you look at the photo on my trackables page "TB2MG19" you see what the other cacher describes. What do you mean by our cache? TB2MG19 is still in "a halloween past" they didn't just move it They dicovered it and now according to the web site it is listed under their trackable as "TB2MG1B" and is in the hands of "geopirate_696".

ok maybey this is making way too big of a deal out of nothing, but it seems like there was a glitch somewhere.

as Gatoulis said

"this is strange!! if you see the other trackable... the owner discovered it!!! The fist log is that he discovered it in the cache you drop the coin...."

I do have another geocoin, similar but from a different year, that one is TB2MG1E and that is in the Mid West somewhere.

One tracking number should always correspond to only one TB reference number, and vice versa. I can only envision two scenarios that would result in what you describe:

1) There's a major screwup in the gc.com database. The other cacher actually managed to re-activate the same coin (with the same tracking number) and receive a second TB reference number (and thus a second listing) for the same coin. I don't think this is possible at all, but I may be wrong.

2) Therefore, more likely: The two TB reference codes actually refer to two different coins. Either you own multiple of them, activated one, but put another one (an unactivated one) in the cache, or you got the tracking number wrong when activating the coin, through a freak chance activated somebody else's coin using the same activation code (they're not all unique, they come in bunches), and then the other cacher actually activated your coin.

One tracking number should always correspond to only one TB reference number, and vice versa. I can only envision two scenarios that would result in what you describe:

1) There's a major screwup in the gc.com database. The other cacher actually managed to re-activate the same coin (with the same tracking number) and receive a second TB reference number (and thus a second listing) for the same coin. I don't think this is possible at all, but I may be wrong.

2) Therefore, more likely: The two TB reference codes actually refer to two different coins. Either you own multiple of them, activated one, but put another one (an unactivated one) in the cache, or you got the tracking number wrong when activating the coin, through a freak chance activated somebody else's coin using the same activation code (they're not all unique, they come in bunches), and then the other cacher actually activated your coin.

Have you emailed any of the other participants?

Looking at the logs, for the coin and the cache, is it possible you dropped one (that Divingbaker found) off unactivated? If you have more than a few of the coin, is it possible you activated one then dropped off another from your bag at the cache? I see in the cache logs you putting one in on your 2nd visit, but there's nothing on the coin's log, and a later log that it wasn't there. Check with him, perhaps he picked it up, found it to be not activated and presumed it to be swag/prize (I leave unactivated often, but try to mark right on coin flip that it's not activated to avoid confusion), and activated and set it off himself.

If you still have some on hand, double check their #'s, you may still have the one you activated.

Edited by rickctroop13

I Think that I may have put an unactivated coin instead of the actvated one in the cache. I do believe I have another one, of course the last time I saw it my daughter had it in her room, so I'll have to check the # on it. The coin is traveling and that is the good thing, I'll just watch it as it travels around. Moral of the story, pay attention to the # of your coin when you set it on its journey. Thanks for all the tips!

Bill