nuvi 1450 geocache downloads

ClockGuy

You'll need an outside program like GSAK or EasyGPS to get the caches to the nuvi. Yes you can send PQs to it but you won't have all the paperless details. Unless you jump through a couple of hoops to load them as POIs. You'll nee the Garmin POI Loader for that. The nuvi will be good to navigate you to the parking area for a cache but its a pain to use in finding the cache.

I did GSAK using the macro instructions for the Nuvi- which converts them to POI told me but they don't show up on the map. So do I also load as a gpx file so they show up on the map?

They are on the map, it is just that you must zoom in really close to see custom POIs. When put in as a GPX file, they show as "favourites" which display at a much higher zoom level.

I did GSAK using the macro instructions for the Nuvi- which converts them to POI told me but they don't show up on the map. So do I also load as a gpx file so they show up on the map?

They are on the map, it is just that you must zoom in really close to see custom POIs. When put in as a GPX file, they show as "favourites" which display at a much higher zoom level.

If you don't need all the paperless details (aka are using the Nuvi to drive to the cache area and another GPS to find the cache) then you could just copy .gpx files into the Garmin\GPX folder on the Nuvi or storage card. Then they will show up on the map at a distance, but may only show up as the GC code. (You could probably use GSAK to change that to the cache name, or maybe even both and save as a .gpx file.)

Caches in POI format on a Nuvi won't show up when zoomed out, but you can store the description/hint/logs/etc. as well. So it's a tradeoff. On the other hand, you might be able to put more caches on there in POI format then you would be able to as .gpx Favorites. (I know the 1300 I used had a limit on the number of Favorites, but not on the number of Points of Interest.)

I use a Colorado and my iphone to geocache, never use the Nuvi for geocaching. I only wanted it to show me where nearby geocaches were. I think I'll try the gpx file. I don't really find GSAK easy to use so if I can do it with gpx that would be awesome!

I only got the GSAK program to work once. I wonder how close I would have to zoom in. The point for me is to be driving down the highway and see the treasure boxes on the nuvi so I'm thinking the gpx may work.

Thanks so much!

For Garmin Nuvi type units, POI Geocaches usually show up the same time that all the other POIs show up. So if you see icons for McDonalds and such (that are not favorites) then that's how close it would have to be. Geocaches loaded as Favorites directly from a GPX file should show up regardless of the zoom level. If you try to add new Geocaches to the unit and they are not all showing up, that means you've hit the max limit and need to get rid of some Geocaches.

For the last month I have been using a Nuvi 1350 to get to the vicinity and a DeLorme PN40 once out of the car.

I use Garmin Basecamp on a MacBook to transfer the PQ gpx file to the Nuvi.

Garmin finally released a Mac version of Basecamp that does not crash 10 seconds after launching it about 2 months ago.

Still getting the hang of using it but it does allow reading PQ files and sending them to the Nuvi.

I send the same PQ file to the DeLorme using GPSbabel