Question about notes?

glas5gang

I stumbled across this in a description on GC2HY5Q today...

"Any and all "Note" finds will be deleted! NO EXCEPTIONS."

Why would someone delete any and all notes? What am I missing here. I thought that was a way to communicate with the CO and other cachers in regards to a specific cache? I am fairly new to caching, so can someone please explain this.

Thanks!

Why would someone delete any and all notes? What am I missing here. I thought that was a way to communicate with the CO and other cachers in regards to a specific cache? I am fairly new to caching, so can someone please explain this.

Thanks!

The CO might be a bit of an eccentric or just having a bad day. I wouldn't worry about it. I use and read notes all the time and I've never seen a response like that. I'm not sure what a "note find" is, though. You either find it (and log it as such) or you don't find it. Notes, as you indicated, are a great way to communicate within the cache page.

Thanks!

I'm not too familiar with a "note find", however I did take a look at the page.

It looks like there was an issue with someone who claimed a FTF because this note was left on the cache page:

Write note

11/29/2010

Hehe

It was just pointed out to me that this new cache has a note special for me on the page.

I love it!

I generally do not even look at the traditional caches unless I am going for the FTF, so thanks to the caching family for pointing this out.

I guess if I get a FTF on a JNS cache, from now on, no one will know and will not know that the log book was signed before they went out of their way for that cache. Wow, it almost sounds like a challenge for me, hehe, I better save my gas money to run when the next one gets published, hehe.

Thanks Wayne for my big smile for today!

The member sounds like he/she might need therapy.

Interesting review process....

From another cache page, same owner:

The coordinates will not take you to where the cache is hid, but will take you within 40 ft. Using the name of the cache, and your eyes you should be able to find the cache location very easily

:blink:

I guess that's what it means when it says "projecting waypoints from locations defined by coordinates is permissible..."?

Listings must contain accurate GPS coordinates. You must visit the geocache site and obtain all the coordinates with a GPS device. GPS usage is an integral and essential element of both hiding and finding geocaches and must be demonstrated for all cache submissions. Projecting waypoints from locations defined by coordinates is permissible

Interesting review process....

From another cache page, same owner:

The coordinates will not take you to where the cache is hid, but will take you within 40 ft. Using the name of the cache, and your eyes you should be able to find the cache location very easily

:blink:

I guess that's what it means when it says "projecting waypoints from locations defined by coordinates is permissible..."?

Listings must contain accurate GPS coordinates. You must visit the geocache site and obtain all the coordinates with a GPS device. GPS usage is an integral and essential element of both hiding and finding geocaches and must be demonstrated for all cache submissions. Projecting waypoints from locations defined by coordinates is permissible

I've seen caches where you need to project a waypoint. Found one, in fact. They aren't listed as "traditional" caches, and there is a proper projection instruction.

That write-up is for a "traditional" cache, one which the coordinates listed are supposed to be the location of the cache.

From the Knowledge Books article about cache types:

Traditional Cache

This is the original geocache type consisting of, at minimum, a container and a log book or logsheet. Larger containers generally include items for trade. “Nano” or “micro” caches are tiny containers that only hold a logsheet. The coordinates listed on the traditional cache page provide the geocache’s exact location.

Multi-Cache (Offset Cache)

A Multi-Cache ("multiple") involves two or more locations. The final location is a physical container. There are many variations, but most Multi-Caches have a hint to find the second cache, and the second cache has a hint to the third, and so on. An offset cache (where you go to a location and get hints to the actual cache) is considered a Multi-Cache.

Mystery or Puzzle Caches

The "catch-all" of cache types, this form of geocache may involve complicated puzzles that you will first need to solve to determine the coordinates. Mystery/Puzzle Caches often become the staging ground for new and unique geocaches that do not fit in another category.

On that "40ft" cache, it might be that the GPS the hider was using was saying it was at 40ft accuracy. I know I've seen worse on a Nuvi while searching for a cache, and think I've experienced worse accuracy on my smartphone. (My smartphone app doesn't tell me what the estimated accuracy is.)

Sounds like the CO is missing the point. The person logging his finds as notes is doing so for the COs benefit. A thank you for the hide without joining the numbers game. Such a threat wasted words.

On the other hand I'd bet that GS would reinstate such a note if the finder wanted to complain. It's a valid log, just not a "found it" log type.