Creative caches and winterproofing caches

RPatey219

Just wondering if anyone would like to share some of their creative cache ideas and/or things they do to winterproof a cache?

Hi RPatey219,

Greetings from Edmonton, Alberta. We visited Newfoundland 3 years ago for a family reunion at Wellman's Cove, North of Springdale. Beautiful province! And some great caches!

We don't anything to winterize our caches either, as we use Lock'n'Locks and ammo cans that can survive our -30 C winters and +30 C summers, (-30 and + 100 F), as well as wind, sun, rain and even being submerged in water like in this year's rainy spring/summer. We may have one or two caches hidden inside plastic animals, but again they are the tough outdoor plastic.

As for creative cache ideas, check out the Cool Cache Containers topic in this forum.

Enjoy your Geocaching Adventures!

mwellman

One idea that I have never actually put into practice, is to paint three adjacent sides of an ammo can white, and the other three, woodland camo, and ask people to rehide it correctly for the season. That wouldn't seriously make it any harder to find, but I do think it would add a little fun to the cache.

Just wondering if anyone would like to share some of their creative cache ideas and/or things they do to winterproof a cache?

Hi RPatey219,

Greetings from Edmonton, Alberta. We visited Newfoundland 3 years ago for a family reunion at Wellman's Cove, North of Springdale. Beautiful province! And some great caches!

We don't anything to winterize our caches either, as we use Lock'n'Locks and ammo cans that can survive our -30 C winters and +30 C summers, (-30 and + 100 F), as well as wind, sun, rain and even being submerged in water like in this year's rainy spring/summer. We may have one or two caches hidden inside plastic animals, but again they are the tough outdoor plastic.

As for creative cache ideas, check out the Cool Cache Containers topic in this forum.

Enjoy your Geocaching Adventures!

mwellman

Thanks! I plan on taking a trip to AB to see some family in the next couple years. Excited to find some caches there for sure!

Like others have said, I typically like to use ammo cans and lock-n-locks when I can. I also normally check my caches in the fall, just to make sure everything is in shape for the winter. I normally make sure the containers are dry, weather seals are in place, everything closes up tight, and that the logbooks aren't full.

In the spring I'll usually check them again to ensure they've made it through the winter ok, and are ready for increased activity in the summer. It's usually overkill if you've started with decent containers to begin with, but I think finders appreciate it.

One idea that I have never actually put into practice, is to paint three adjacent sides of an ammo can white, and the other three, woodland camo, and ask people to rehide it correctly for the season. That wouldn't seriously make it any harder to find, but I do think it would add a little fun to the cache.

thats a clever idea!