Earliest benchmark log on Geocaching.com

ArtMan

A lot of us have been looking for benchmarks for a long time now. (I'm talking as a hobby here, not as a professional pursuit.)

My first were HV1697 (DC VA BOUNDARY MK 6 RM 2) and other nearby marks in Arlington, Va., back in 2002. That was, I seem to recall, soon after benchmarks were added to the Geocaching site. Maybe someone has a better institutional memory than I do.

In any event, it got me wondering what the first benchmark log here was, and when the first member of our Geocaching.com community reported a recovery to the NGS.

~ArtMan~

Both JD0048 and JD2795 have Geocaching.com logs dated 6/10/01. Artman, you visited JD0048 in October of last year.

The NGS database has a recovery for JD0048 dated 6/10/11.

I recall a forum post that JD0048 may be the first Geocaching log in the NGS database. If so, the 10th anniversary may have passed without notice.

Bob

Bob,

Oddly, the JD0048 log gives the date as 06/10/2001, but if you go to Glenn Rice's page listing all his recoveries, the date given is 06/10/2002.

I don't know what accounts for the discrepancy. However, the NGS recovery from 6/10/2001 (not 2011, as you mis-typed) seems to confirm the earlier date.

Mark your calendar for the 15th anniversary on June 10, 2016 ... unless an earlier log surfaces!

~ArtMan~