premium membership

BIGBADJOHN1402

Buy a Magellan GPSr. Or go by a Garmin. After the unit is registered there is a link you can use to activate the trial membership.

Here is the link if you already have a Garmin unit. Mind you if the unit was purchased second hand it probably won't work. Especially if the previous owner registered the unit under there account.

http://www.geocaching.com/garmin/freetrial.aspx

Buy a Magellan GPSr. Or go by a Garmin. After the unit is registered there is a link you can use to activate the trial membership.

Here is the link if you already have a Garmin unit. Mind you if the unit was purchased second hand it probably won't work. Especially if the previous owner registered the unit under there account.

http://www.geocaching.com/garmin/freetrial.aspx

If you look at www.geocaching.com/freetrial/

you will see you don't have to buy a GPS and a code is available at events and by email but how ?

Those are GroudSpeak sponsored events. Check the callender and see if you can attend one. The emails are probably an old promotion. Maybe they will feel generous on there next anniversary and send a code in the newsletter. So your best bet is to either buy a new unit if your Magellan didn't come with a code or you don't own any kind of Garmin unit. Better yet pop the $30 and get a year.

Personally i've gotten 3 free months and paid for a full year. My first GPSr before i started caching was a Garmin Nuvi 1300. Then i got a Garmin eTrex Legend H, then picked up a Garmin Dakota 10. All of which got me free time added to my account.

Those are GroudSpeak sponsored events. Check the callender and see if you can attend one. The emails are probably an old promotion. Maybe they will feel generous on there next anniversary and send a code in the newsletter. So your best bet is to either buy a new unit if your Magellan didn't come with a code or you don't own any kind of Garmin unit. Better yet pop the $30 and get a year.

Personally i've gotten 3 free months and paid for a full year. My first GPSr before i started caching was a Garmin Nuvi 1300. Then i got a Garmin eTrex Legend H, then picked up a Garmin Dakota 10. All of which got me free time added to my account.

ok thank-you for your advise, i will stay as i am probally.

1) I use a smart phone to search and this has every feature if not more than any GPS unit the only down point is battery life but i carry a charged spare normally.

2)I have over 300 caches within a 10 mile radius of me that are open to basic members and am only missing out on about 20 that are only open to premium members.

so as you see I can't see a reason to subscribe to premium and really was looking for a trial to give it a chance to prove to me it would be a good idea..

The Hide a Cache/Find a Cache starter kits in the Groundspeak store come with 30 day trial memberships.

There is another thing that (as far as I know) some GPS units have that smartphones do not have. An electronic compass.

I've used 3 different smart phones to cache and all 3 had an electronic compass.

ok thank-you for your advise, i will stay as i am probally.

1) I use a smart phone to search and this has every feature if not more than any GPS unit the only down point is battery life but i carry a charged spare normally.

2)I have over 300 caches within a 10 mile radius of me that are open to basic members and am only missing out on about 20 that are only open to premium members.

so as you see I can't see a reason to subscribe to premium and really was looking for a trial to give it a chance to prove to me it would be a good idea..

The only reason premium members are premium is not premium caches. One of the main reasons for me and for a lot of others is PQ's.

The Hide a Cache/Find a Cache starter kits in the Groundspeak store come with 30 day trial memberships.

There is another thing that (as far as I know) some GPS units have that smartphones do not have. An electronic compass.

yes mine has both compass and radar.

Really radar? dry.gif

yes mine has both compass and radar.

Are you talking about weather radar? Because unless you've got some kind of military phone, I don't think it would have real actual radar. Weather radar on phones = use GPS position, or some other position info, and download a weather radar map through a data connection. I've got an app for that on my own phone. Real radar = One antenna transmits radio waves that bounce off objects (usually in the sky, like planes) and another antenna receives the reflected radio waves.

The SpotterRF was said in 2009 to be the smallest radar system in the world. It's about the size of a shoebox and requires a web browser, laptop, and GoogleEarth to function.

Till now I've never heard of an actual electronic compass in a phone, though any GPS software could have a GPS compass. (From a quick search on Amazon, it doesn't look like any manufacturers actually say their phones have a compass, though some marketplace sellers with unlocked phones may mention it.) Though from what I read elsewhere it does sound like some phones actually have 3-axis magnetometers. My smartphone does not have one and I doubt any of similar age would have one either. So newer smartphones (say iPhone/Android/WP7 era) might have compasses. Older phones (Like my WM 6.1 Tilt) are another story.

This seems to be going off topic and getting technical ... all I know is my phone has compass and a radar that assist me in finding caches how it does it? I don't know and frankly don't care !!

So it seems the code is not currently available for free. (without buying worthless devices-but that would not be free as you are probally paying for it with the price of the device..) :mad::mad::mad:

Explain this radar. Are you talking about the map showing the caches near you? All GPSr have a map. Whatever cache you load into the unit will show up on that map. Your smart phone will show ones close to you and act as a radar because it has a data connection with the site so it can retrieve that info.

If you want a free membership you will have to buy a new unit or attend a special event where they are giving out the codes. The GPSr you buy isn't going to cost you any extra to cover the 30 day trial membership. Besides that 30 day trial is only worth $2 or $3. If you want to stick with your smart phone thats great. But don't go expecting something for nothings. If you would really like to try the PM then pay for the $10 plan.

Edited by mpilchfamily