Posting Final Coordinates

Sharing the final coords for a multi or puzzle has many times been discussed and is generally thought to be a bad thing.

This morning a Google search for something entirely unrelated turned up this site [link removed by moderator]

Evidently it's a database where folks can post the final coordinates or solutions to puzzles.

Is anyone using it, or something like it?

Edited by Keystone
Removed Link to site that violates TOU

Sharing the final coords for a multi or puzzle has many times been discussed and is generally thought to be a bad thing.

Not just a bad thing, it violates the geocaching.com terms of use:

(m) Publish, in any form of media, the solutions, hints, spoilers, or any hidden coordinates for any geocache without consent from the cache owner.

The fun part of puzzles is the effort put into trying to figure out the coordinates. If you are just going to copy down the final coords, then ya might as well just hunt for traditional caches.

However....I do like the geochecker function that some hiders have included on the cache pages....so you can try out your solution, and see if it is correct.

This morning a Google search for something entirely unrelated turned up this site [Link removed]

Evidently it's a database where folks can post the final coordinates or solutions to puzzles.

Is anyone using it, or something like it?

This site:

[Link Removed]

showed up a couple of years ago hilighting the solutions to a number of mysteries in my area.

(It was the subject of a thread on the forums but I can't find it now).

After a number of Emails from local CO's, the owner of the site saw the error of his ways and changed most if not all of the hints to "just solve the puzzle".

Edited by Keystone
Removed Links to sites that violate TOU

Not just a bad thing, it violates the geocaching.com terms of use:

(m) Publish, in any form of media, the solutions, hints, spoilers, or any hidden coordinates for any geocache without consent from the cache owner.

Well sure, but some are enforced and some aren't. That's not the question.

My curiosity has more to do with whether many folks want the final / solution without doing the work.

The fun part of puzzles is the effort put into trying to figure out the coordinates. If you are just going to copy down the final coords, then ya might as well just hunt for traditional caches.

However....I do like the geochecker function that some hiders have included on the cache pages....so you can try out your solution, and see if it is correct.

From another thread you said, " Play the game any way you want.

Don't take anything you read in the forums as the 'one way' to do things. Have fun out there!"

Why is this any different?

The site posted by the OP is a German site. There are only 4 caches in the entire United States that are listed on it. Hardly anything to worry about on this side of the ocean.

Which may explain why the German and Dutch seem to be the ones who post angsty request in the feedback section that Grounspeak do something to stop these sites. I suspect here in North America there are so few of them that cache owners aren't bothered.

The other thing is that perhaps these sites are less popular here because we tend to feel that if you don't solve the puzzle you've only cheated yourself of part of the fun, while Europeans think if you can get something without doing the work you deserve a reward.

Sadly the "p" comes into play here. It may be the Puritan tradition of the United States (and Canada and the UK) that has us culturally attuned to feeling that getting something without making the effort is something to be ashamed about, while the continental Europeans find nothing wrong in it. (I got this idea from an edtiorial I read this morning on the dissmisal of charges against Dominique Strauss-Kahn, that indicated the difference in how that case is viewed in France vs. England was due to the purtianical views on morality that the English have).

My curiosity has more to do with whether many folks want the final / solution without doing the work.

Yes, quite a lot in particular in areas with lots of non traditional caches.

For example, for Vienna the distribution is as follows (including archived ones):

Number % Cache type

----------------------------------

873 42.7 Traditional Cache

607 29.7 Unknown Cache

489 23.9 Multi-cache

53 2.6 Event Cache

10 0.5 Webcam Cache

7 0.3 Letterbox Hybrid

4 0.2 Earthcache

1 0 Lost and Found Event Cache

However. most cachers that are in need of the coordinates get them from cacher colleagues and do not need to use public data bases.

Cezanne

Edited by cezanne