Need suggestions

4x4galore

Hi, I am new to geocaching. I have a Garmin Nuvi in my 4WD a Samsung Galaxy S smartphone and an old Fortuna GPSmart unit.

The Garmin is great for getting me close to caches, especially in the bush where I spend most of my time, with the only problem out of the car being that the screen is very hard to read in bright sunlight.

I tried the smartphone, but its screen was even worse than the Nuvi, and it had real trouble locating satellites.

I then pulled out the old Fortuna, well the black and white LCD screen worked really well in bright sun and when it locked on to enough satellites it was fantastic, I really like the compass and distance screen. Made it very easy to find caches.

Here's my dilemma, I don't need a unit with mapping as I have the Nuvi. I really liked the readability of the old style LCD screen and compass on the Fortuna. But I want something that will lock on to satellites out in the bush.

The closest I can find is the QSTARZ SR-Q2100.

Does anyone have information on this unit or something better?

Every handheld on the market covers your needs. All hand held GPSr have good screens that are easily read in the sun light. Some better then others but certainly better then the Nuvi or smartphone. Any unit made in the past 3 or 4 years can get a good lock even under tree cover. They all have a compass pointing to the cache and giving you distance to it. Some are electronic compasses that update your heading based on the direction your facing while others require you to take a few steps in a direction before it can update the compass to point you in the right direction. All units come with a base map that shows little more the major roadways. If you go with a Garmin unit and decide to do away with the Nuvi and used the handheld for both nav and caching there are plenty of free maps available. As a premium member you will also want to get a unit that does paperless caching. This way you can upload PQs to the unit and have the full cache description, hints and recent logs on the unit for you to see while caching. Check out the Garmin eTrex 10, 20 and 30 (due out in about a week). If you prefear a touch screen, like the nuvi has but with better visability, over button then look at the Dakota, Oregon, and Montana lines.

Garmin 6x series.... I have the Oregon 400T which I love... but it is hard to read without activating the backlight. the 63s I think are the latest and they are awesome.

There is no 63. The 62's are the latest and a good unit. Another good option for the button interface side of the list. But currently Gamins' newest offerings are the new eTrex line and the Montana. If your not looking for all the bells and whistles then the eTrex 10 may be the way to go. Offering all the geocaching basics as well as paperless caching.