Found a trackable but it wasn't where GC thinks it was

gausie

Hey all,

Today I found a trackable that wasn't where GC thought it was. I want to log that I retrieved it from a cache, but it's asking me to say that I got it from the hands of another geocacher. What do I do?

Gausie

The other geocacher may be on holiday, they may not have had a chance to do all their logging to drop the trackable into the cache where you retrieved it.

I suggest you keep the TB for a few days (I usually wait about a week) to give them some time... wait and see whether it gets logged in correctly... If you want you could email that cacher and remind them to drop off the trackable...

If it doesn't appear in the cache inventory after the waiting period then I would just do a "grab it" from that cacher, then allow the item a 'visit' to the cache where you found it to keep its journey track accurate.

MrsB :)

One thing to add to what the previous poster said, you should check the logs of the cache where the item was and see if the person who had the item posted a recent log. (One TB I found, the one who dropped it off logged a find and mentioned dropping a TB but didn't log the TB into the cache.) As far as visiting the TB to the cache, if and when you do it, you can use a note saying something like "Fixing TB mileage" (I assume you already logged the cache as found) and delete the note afterward. (The CO and any watchers should still get an e-mail about the note, but it won't clutter up the online log sheet.)

My take on situations like this:

- Investigation. Try to find out when was the traveler dropped in the cache, by reading the physical and online logs (I check the physical logs only if I don't find the traveler I went for, or I find a different traveler).

- If the traveler has been dropped only a few days before, wait a couple more days, up to a week. If the traveler has been in the cache for a while (or the week passed), send an email to the person who "holds" the coin, reminding him where he dropped it, and (if a newbie) the proper way to log a coin drop. If the coin is listed as being in a different cache, and the investigation did not reveal who dropped it, wait a week.

- If no response from the cacher within a reasonable time (couple of days/a week), grab the coin from him, and log it as "visited" in the cache where it was found. If the coin is listed in another cache, retrieve from there and log it as "visited" in the cache where it was found. Write a short message in the log, mentioning where the traveler was found.