Premium membership cache problem for basic member trackable

Fantastic4SS

I was contemplating purchasing a trackable, but as a basic member I am worried what will happen if it gets placed in a 'Premium' cache.

I have a friend who is in exactly this situation, and can only find out the name & code of the cache, the size, terrain, and difficulty of the cache, and the user name of the person who placed/adopted cache.

If the trackable stays in the cache for an extended period of time, there is no information available to the basic member owner of the trackable that can be used to visit cache and move the trackable on. I do not see any way can contact owner of the cace to ask for support on this either.

For those of us who prefer to remain basic members, surely an investment in a genuine trackable should ensure the owner has sufficient information to visit and reclaim their trackable should they wish to do so.

2. Does anyone have any advice how I could get information to recover my trackable (I have purchased) from a premium cache?
  3. Are there any plans to add the ability to obtain temporary access to cache information for a premium cache in which your trackable has been placed (or can this be implemented)?

The only thing I can think of would be to add instruction to not place trackable in a premium cache, but this does not guarantee a geocacher will follow that request/instruction, or that the cache does not change status after the trackable has been placed there. Also there are loads of trackables already out in the wild from basic members, and they probably won't get chance to add that instruction to their trackable.

Has anyone else had this problem?

So, your TB gets stuck in a Premium Member cache 4,000 miles from you. You want to go on a rescue mission?! :o

I wouldn't worry about it.

If you email and explain, most PM's will let you know about your TB if it's in their PM cache.

And. Don't have high expectations of any traveler you release... Once you drop it in the first cache, you no longer have any control over it.

If it's of any sentimental value don't release it if you'll be upset when it disappears.

Edited by Bear and Ragged

So, your TB gets stuck in a Premium Member cache 4,000 miles from you. You want to go on a rescue mission?! :o

I wouldn't worry about it.

If you email and explain, most PM's will let you know about your TB if it's in their PM cache.

And. Don't have high expectations of any traveler you release... Once you drop it in the first cache, you no longer have any control over it.

If it's of any sentimental value don't release it if you'll be upset when it disappears.

Would probably be cheaper to just buy premium membership than the drive 4000 miles to check on it. Did you try the tbrescue site?

If you feel the TB needs to be rescued from a PM cache then contact the CO. But as mentioned above, once its out of your hands, its out of your hands. You have no control over it and the likelihood of retrieving the item is slim to none. Chances are if the item has been sitting in any cache for a long period of time it has gown missing. Especially if there have been several visits to the cache since it was dropped off. Often someone will have picked it up and moved it on but not logged it correctly to indicate its been moved. In which case the item may be "lost" for a while then suddenly show up some time later in another cache cause a cacher was able to log it correctly. There are also times when caches go missing and your item is lost forever. Then others just out right get taken. Some people thinking its a cool swag item or just taking it cause they like steeling other people's trackables.

Hi Fantastic4SS,

I think that this is not as much of a problem as you think.

The screen shot without signing in of one of our premium caches and yes, our geocaching name is listed:

Welcome to Leduc (GC1RG5Q)

A cache by mwellman

Size: Size: Micro (Micro) Difficulty: 1.5 out of 5 Terrain: 1.5 out of 5

As you have the cache name and the name of the cache owner, you can always contact them through the Hide and Seek A Cache link on the left hand side of the main page. Then type the cacher's name into Found by or Hidden by and you will find one of the caches that they have found or hidden, with a link that you can click to contact them.

As a TB owner, you ALWAYS have the option to Retrieve the TB from the cache, Grab from somewhere else, Grab from current holder or Write a note.

Some cachers like to place TBs into PM caches as they may be safer there. Why? The brand new cacher with two finds who grabs your TB from a basic member cache and then disappears from the game with your TB. This is less likely to occur in a PM cache. Also cache maggots are less likely to pay the $30 just to vandalize caches.

We had one coin that only traveled to the next city before it was lost and one that is have a great time in Europe. You just have to be willing to accept either option. Just don't grab our car's TB!

mwellman from Alberta

edited to add screen shot. Edited to fix grammar. Sorry.

Edited by mwellman

Hi mwellman

Thank's that is a good tip about contacting the cache owner.

I'm relatively new to this game... found just 5 caches to date, out of about 10+ attempts.

I did not manage to work out that method for contacting cache owner, so your reply is particularly helpful.

Since I do not have my own TB yet I was just echoing a friends mild concern about their TB.

Your message offers some reassurance that he has a few more options available to him should he decide he needs them. I'll have to read up a bit more about "Retrieve the TB from the cache, Grab from somewhere else, Grab from current holder" although "write a note" seems self explanatory enough.

It never crossed my mind how trackables can go missing especially intentionally! I just presumed that visitors to caches would be honest and pro-geocaching cause. I guess I am showing a bit of naivity.

Thanks for taking the time to give me some tips and background on TB's and caches.

Fantastic4SS from England

Hi Fantastic4SS,

I think that this is as much of a problem as you think.

The screen shot without signing in of one of our premium caches and yes, our geocaching name is listed:

Welcome to Leduc (GC1RG5Q)

A cache by mwellman

Size: Size: Micro (Micro) Difficulty: 1.5 out of 5 Terrain: 1.5 out of 5

As you have the cache name and the name of the cache owner, you can always contact them through the Hide and Seek A Cache link on the left hand side of the main page. Then type the cacher's name into Found by or Hidden by and you will find one of the caches that they have found or hidden, with a link that you can click to contact them.

As a TB owner, you ALWAYS have the option to Retrieve the TB from the cache, Grab from somewhere else, Grab from current holder or Write a note.

Some cachers like to place TBs into PM caches as they may be safer there. Why? The brand new cacher with two finds who grabs your TB from a basic member cache and then disappears from the game with your TB. This is less likely to occur in a PM cache. Also cache maggots are less likely to pay the $30 just to vandalize caches.

We had one coin that only traveled to the next city before it was lost and one that is have a great time in Europe. You just have to be willing to accept either option. Just don't grab our car's TB!

mwellman from Alberta

editted to add screen shot

I guess it all depends upon how addicted to geocaching you become.

At the moment I am just toying with it, and the idea of a TB was to increase my interest a step further.

I expect for the next year or two at least I will be trying to find a dozen or so caches annually. Any TB/geocoins etc I pick up I would try and move on to another cache as soon as I could, but otherwise there may be weeks or months between geocaching excursions.

The idea of premium membership for so few caches seems (to me at least) to be a bit of a deterrent. On the other hand, if I purchased a TB/geocoin I think I would be a bit frustrated if I was unable to track it because it kept being dropped in premium caches.

I think your replies have convinced me to steer clear of purchasing geocoins and travel bugs, and I'll just move on any I find in basic public caches when I feel I can satisfy any objectives associated with the trackable.

The idea of premium membership for so few caches seems (to me at least) to be a bit of a deterrent. On the other hand, if I purchased a TB/geocoin I think I would be a bit frustrated if I was unable to track it because it kept being dropped in premium caches.

One of my TB's TBYYVR 18896 miles in five years.

Given that Premium Member Only caches are a very small percentage of caches placed, you won't miss many of a TB's adventures.