How can I avoid over saturation?

neotanget

So I went to hide my first geocache, I spent a couple of days trying to decide where my first one should be hid. I decided to hide it in the park where I found my very first cache. So I looked around for about 2 hours for something good. I finally found a good spot. An area I couldnt believe didnt have a cache in it yet. Well I hid it, came home and couldnt wait to post it. I was actually really upset to find it would take a few days to be reviewed by anyone and then on top of that be declined or whatever because it was too close to another geocache.... only about 100 feet or so inside the OVER SATURATION line or whatever.

I had no idea that my cache was invalid just by that rule, even though it really didnt seem all that close to the adjacent cache. What is the best way to avoid this problem again? Is there a way to figure out if my cache Im wanting to plant is far enough away next time?

Thanks for any help!

Happy Caching!

So I went to hide my first geocache, I spent a couple of days trying to decide where my first one should be hid. I decided to hide it in the park where I found my very first cache. So I looked around for about 2 hours for something good. I finally found a good spot. An area I couldnt believe didnt have a cache in it yet. Well I hid it, came home and couldnt wait to post it. I was actually really upset to find it would take a few days to be reviewed by anyone and then on top of that be declined or whatever because it was too close to another geocache.... only about 100 feet or so inside the OVER SATURATION line or whatever.

I had no idea that my cache was invalid just by that rule, even though it really didnt seem all that close to the adjacent cache. What is the best way to avoid this problem again? Is there a way to figure out if my cache Im wanting to plant is far enough away next time?

Thanks for any help!

Happy Caching!

The Guidelines are quite clear regarding saturation and other issues:

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.book&id=11'>http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.book&id=11

The Knowledge Books also have extensive articles that clearly explain the review process:

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.book&id=1

In particular:

Section 4.2. Publication of Caches

It's been over 3 days. Why isn't my cache published yet?

We understand that it can be a nerve-wracking time: waiting for your new geocache to be unleashed.

All geocaches are reviewed by volunteers, and we ask that they contact you within 3 days of enabling your geocache. Sometimes they will have additional questions about your cache. Often, publication will be quick and the reviewer will simply publish it based on the information you provide on your cache page.

And this will be of interest to you:

4.8. Checking for Cache Saturation:

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=199

Edited by Pup Patrol

Thanks for any help!

Happy Caching!

Sure. If you check the guidelines for hiding a cache (essential reading if you haven't read them), they spell out the requirements in some detail. For the closest cache, for the two I've hidden, I just went to the spot, then pulled up caches nearby, and checked the distance. Give it a little margin instead of trying to be right on the line, and you should be good.

Keep in mind, only 2 hidden here, so more experienced people may have a better answer.

I was actually really upset to find it would take a few days to be reviewed by anyone and then on top of that be declined or whatever because it was too close to another geocache.... only about 100 feet or so inside the OVER SATURATION line or whatever.

The easiest way is.....

-----------------------------------------------------

Dear Reviewer,

I'm thinking about placing a cache at NXX XX.xxx WYYY YY.yyy

Am I clear for at least .12 miles from these coords?

Thanks for you help.

Joe Cacher

-------------------------------------------------------

Once your reviewer says the location is clear you can place the cache and submit the listing.