Not found in 50 years

Harry Dolphin

So I was wandering about Pike County, PA, and looked for a couple of benchmarks in Shohola. LY0660 & LY0655LY0655. Neither were particularly difficult to find. Heck, you can even see the storm drain with LY0655 on it while drivig by on US 6! Google Earth view of storm drain.

14a12ae3-8bfe-4a36-99a2-d886d5c81460.jpg

No one has logged finding either since they were set in 1959? (Okay. That makes me feel old!) One wonders how many have never been used since they were set.

Don't forget that just because there's no recovery report doesn't mean they haven't been used. Here's one I found just the other day: KG0754. It has no recoveries since being placed in 1950 and yet someone has placed a much more modern fiberglass witness post next to it.

Edited by Rotareneg

Sometimes the local surveyors who do use the benchmarks don't really want people to find them. I remember discussing that with the property owner at KV1244. The local surveyor had taken great pains to hide the benchmark under some logs so that no one could find or damage "his" benchmark. In all fairness, most of the marks in that level line had been vandalized, and the few remaining ones were apparently precious to the surveyors.

Many benchmarks I have found have no recent reports, yet the area is festooned with orange ribbons as evidence of recent use. When I first began to look for benchmarks, I would leave the ones which had been covered with dirt open to the air for easier recovery by the next person. Then I discovered more and more vandalized marks and I decided to start covering them up after I had found them. There are plenty of marks right out in the open which have never been logged.