Magellan Triton over Explorist (need electronic compass)

eosxt

Hi, I really miss having an electronic compass like I used to have on an older Magellan that died. I replaced it with a PN-20 which does not have the electronic compass and therefore I don't know which direction to head unless I start walking and check to see how far off I am, then I have to guess again by walking in a new direction. I just can't get used to not having the electronic compass.

I noticed that the Magellan Trton 500 DOES have the electronic compass and it's only $199. http://www.magellangps.com/Products/Triton/Magellan-Triton-500-North-America

If I go with the explorist series, then I have to jump up to the $350.00 level to get an electronic compass.

Why is the Trton series cheaper and better equipped?

Are there any reasons NOT to go with a Triton?

Thanks

The triton is rather old tech with no free maps available. You can probably find a garmin dakota or oregon for around the same price. There are excellent free topo and driving maps available for garmins. Ask for guidance on where to buy on the forum. Now if you are interested in a mapped up used oregon 450 for $225 let me know. If not I would still suggest a dakota over a triton. If you have to get a triton check ebay. You might get an upgrade from the 500 :laughing:

Hi, I really miss having an electronic compass like I used to have on an older Magellan that died. I replaced it with a PN-20 which does not have the electronic compass and therefore I don't know which direction to head unless I start walking and check to see how far off I am, then I have to guess again by walking in a new direction. I just can't get used to not having the electronic compass.

I noticed that the Magellan Trton 500 DOES have the electronic compass and it's only $199. http://www.magellangps.com/Products/Triton/Magellan-Triton-500-North-America

If I go with the explorist series, then I have to jump up to the $350.00 level to get an electronic compass.

Why is the Trton series cheaper and better equipped?

Are there any reasons NOT to go with a Triton?

Thanks