distance to existing caches

TeamFloyd

Exactly? Probably not, but I do basically what was said above. I also don't usually try shoehorn in caches so tight that it becomes an issue, but try and seek out areas that don't have many caches in the first place. When there are a few caches in an area I'm interested in, I tend to shoot for 600 feet, in order to leave a bit of room for the inevitable error inherent in the technology.

Best of luck!

Be aware of any multiples or puzzle caches that may be within .5 miles of the location. A seemily wide open area near a puzzle or multi may be where one of there hidden stages is placed. But you have no way of knowing that until you submit your cache and a reviewer looks at it. But you could contact the owners of those caches and tell them where you would like to place your cache and see if there stages will be in the way or not.

Load all the location info you have for nearby caches and see what the GPS says as far as distance. (Just make sure it's doing "as the crow flies" rather then say distance via roads.) Any unsolved puzzle/mystery caches could pose a potential issue. The reviewers will be able to check those, and in some cases you may be able to get some info about it's general location from the cache name/description.