GPS coordinates

Hey all, I am up to 28 finds now and I really want to place one myself. I have read the information and rules and am currently reading them again. My question has to do with my GPS unit. This is how my coordinates come up on my unit for a waypoint:

37*32.187'N

78*0.508'W

When I write them down to average the location, or just to write them down is this the way to do it?

North .187

West .508

What is EPE? If I was putting coordinates in my unit do I write it this way?

I really suck at this and hope someone can help. I have done a lot of things my 40 years on earth but I genrally just stink at this kind of stuff. I appreciate any help.

Scott

It would help to know what kind of GPS unit you have. Most decent GPS units have an integrated averaging function: you just start it up, let the device sit there for a minute or two, and in the end gives you the coordinates.

EPE is the estimated position error. It's how accurate the GPS thinks the currently reported coordinates are.

If you want to average yourself, manually, doing it on the last 3 digits is fine.

Doing a snapshot reading only (no averaging) is not recommended, but might also give you good coordinates.

... Doing a snapshot reading only (no averaging) is not recommended, but might also give you good coordinates.

I get excellent coords WITHOUT AN AVERAGING FEATURE (even though my GPS has one, I just don't trust it). You probably won't get good coords with just a quick snapshot. Observing the up and down coord drift over time, to some degree I do mentally average out the raw data. Coming back on diferent days at different times is also a good idea.

Thanks. I have the Magellan Explorist GC and I am not sure if I have this function or not.

As mentioned above, it is best to get to know your equipment, and the game of geocaching before your first hide.

Make sure you read and undertand the guidelines of placing a cache. It's a responsibility.

Edited by SeekerOfTheWay

OK, thanks. Again, I have read everything twice as I am a manual freak. Unfortunately I am bad with maps and GPS units. I assume if my unit was able to do this I would have read that and I dont recall seeing it anywhere. But that is why I ask the questions, sometimes you can read something and still not know exactly. I like to read and then ask questions.

eXplorist GC - Owners Manual (English), page 17:

Adding a Geocache

1. Press MENU and select ‘Add Geocache’ from the Options menu.

2. Wait approximately 2 minutes while the receiver uses ‘waypoint averaging’ to calculate an

accurate position. The bottom of the “Add Geocache” screen will display the estimated accuracy

when it is done averaging.

3. To change the name, highlight the Name field and press ENTER. Use the keyboard to enter the

desired name.

4. To change the Difficulty, Terrain, or Size move the highlight to the desired field. Use the joystick

left or right to change the setting.

5. Press MENU and select ‘Save’ to save the geocache.

I think this is what you want. I'm not sure how you would then get the coordinates out of the unit, but I assume there's a way to make it show them to you. Then enter them into the online form.