Watch List enhancement?

dogsoldier

It's quite possible that this has been discussed already, because it seems to be an obvious enhancement, but I couldn't find it.

I like to keep a list of caches that I'm interested in doing for future reference, and to do this I've been adding them to my "Watch List". It's convenient to have them on a list so I don't have to search for them later. However, I really don't have a desire to receive constant emails everytime one of the caches on my Watch List has a posting made. I just want a list to refer to when I'm ready to do a cache.

Is it possible to NOT be emailed when caches on my Watch List receive a posting? And, if not...it seems like this would be a helpful, and easy programming change to make.

Wow. I list of caches, but you don't want to receive any notification of them.

Other options:

Keep a list on your profile

Keep a separate website that you create

Bookmark those caches.

This would actually go well with my suggestion here. If the list could be saved as a pocket query, you could get an e-mail each week (or MWF or whatever) to make sure they're all still active.

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

Earlier this month, the same suggestion in This "To-do List" thread captured Jeremy's attention. He thought it was a "nice" idea and said he would think about it. That doesn't happen very often, so there's hope!

I would call this feature "My cache worksheet" or "My cache to-do list" and have it be accessed from your My Cache Page (or integrated into Pocket Queries).

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Next time, instead of getting married, I think I'll just find a woman I don't like and buy her a house.

...a "to do" list. That's a better word for it. Markwell seems to think it odd that I wouldn't want constant notifications of activity on caches on my proposed "to do" list, but I don't think it's strange. While I absolutely love reading new entries on caches that I've already done, I don't have a desire to read every new log on caches that are on my "to do" list. It just gets to be a bit too much email if I've got a lot of caches on my "to do" list.

And, no real need to worry about whether or not they are still active. I could just simply click on the cache on my "to do" list when I'm ready to attempt it and see at that time whether or not it's still active.

I completely understand that I could bookmark the cache page or create my own list on my own separate web site, but I thought this forum was to discuss potential enhancements to this website...rather than workarounds for perceived shortcomings of the site.

Like I said, it seems like it would be a very simple programming job. Maybe a checkbox when you add a cache to your Watch List that gives you the option of receiving email notifications or not.

Thanks for the feedback! I'll keep looking, and maybe Jeremy will chime in since he apparently thought it was worth looking at in the past.

I have to go with Markwell on this one. I think browser "Favorites" are perfect for this sort of thing, rather than a workaround for a feature shortcoming of the site.

I don't think it is necessary to have Jeremy spend coding time on something that's already available to pretty much everyone who has access to this site.

Jamie

quote:
Originally posted by dogsoldier:

...a "to do" list. That's a better word for it. Markwell seems to think it odd that I wouldn't want constant notifications of activity on caches on my proposed "to do" list,

FWIW- I think its odd that you want "to watch" these caches, but not know whats going on with them icon_smile.gif But i realize that you dont really want to "watch" them, so much as you want a "round toit" list icon_biggrin.gif

I completely understand that I could bookmark the cache page or create my own list on my own separate web site, but I thought this forum was to discuss potential enhancements to this website...rather than workarounds for perceived shortcomings of the site.

icon_cool.gif I think it would be nice to have some sort of "improvements schedule". Like-- This week Jeremy's working on fixing/improving/creating XX, Next week he wants to XX, the week after he's....

The reason being that people could chime in with what/how the best improvements would be. I realize this is pretty already being done with forums disscussions, but i still think it'd be nice to have a currents list, w/o going over all the forums looking at the most current project.

waypoint_link.gif22008_1700.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

I originally brought up the idea for the "to-do" list... and have been using the watchlist feature as a workaround. I agree with the leprechauns and dogsoldier... a "My cache to-do" list is exactly what I am looking for... and maybe a little extra code that will automatically remove a cache from my list after I log it.

Previous to using the watchlist feature I was adding all the caches to "my bookmarks" or "favorites"... which works great if I am using my computer... The major downfall to this is... I'll be travelling over the Christmas holiday and will be staying with several friends and family... and using their computers... I would not have access to "my bookmarks" or "favorites" but if they were included in My Cache Page I could easily see what caches were next on my list!!!

Jeremey also mentioned labels in his earlier reply:

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy (Admin):

Allowing folks to create a list, label it, and add caches to it would be nice though. Like "caches on a rainy day" or "trip to Colorado." That way you can create multiple lists and download them at once through Pocket Queries. I'll have to think about that one.

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

I think the ability to have and name multiple lists would be great and again may be this could be considered as a "members only" feature!