Hello, thanks and questions.

Hi all, newbie here. Wanted to say hello and thank you to everyone. I read a couple of lines about caching in an email I received a few weeks ago and liked the sound of it. So done some (a lot) of research before taking the family out for the day, we all had a wonderful time. We've since been out again and all can't wait to go again. The kids love it and have taken all the rules to heart with gusto, to the point that they talk in code even when we're muggle free!! lol

Couple of questions, is there a forum for our area? (Herts) I have looked but can't see one. As I would love to chat to others locally.

Also we are planning ahead to our first hide and was wondering if someone could tell me what permissions are needed for Lea valley, I have scanned through the permissions info (albeit briefly)but thought I'd save a little time and ask, as there are SO many in the area (luckily for us)so there's a high chance of someone being able to tell me. :D

Finally an etiquette question, is it acceptable to swap several items at once? I have read all available info and from what I've read it is, but wanted to check. And yes we trade equal or higher value items. :)

Thanks again to all, as i pointed out last night I can't believe we spent so long JUST cycling, how boring that sounds now!! Dawn.

Welcome!!

I know it's tempting to put a cache of at first, but find a few more as this will give you some ideas for some good hides :) Sometimes we swap more that one thing, but after a while it's just finding the cache which is the reward...unless the kids love to and I guess you have more than one with you ;)

Caching on bikes...great fun :)

Finally an etiquette question, is it acceptable to swap several items at once? I have read all available info and from what I've read it is, but wanted to check. And yes we trade equal or higher value items. :)

Welcome!

To answer your last question.

Swapping several items is fine.

So long as you leave the cache with items of better, or at least equal value, there's no problem with the number of items swapped.

Trackables are not 'swap' items.

But if you want to leave a swag when Retrieving or Dropping a trackable feel free to do so!

Permissions? The Geocaching Association of Great Britain (GAGB) has a database of current agreements. My resource site has links to mapping and other resources we reviewers use that you can use too to check a location. Lots of other information about guidelines and things to be aware of when placing caches (and links to the GAGB). Link below my signature - page on Permissions and Mapping will be of most interest to you for placing a cache. The page on Help your Reviewer gives you some tips and tricks on getting your cache reviewed and published quickly :)

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk

Geocaching.com Knowledge Books

Thanks for the replies and the welcomes.

Eusty, we're not planning on doing it just yet but are thinking ahead. And yes we have 2 kids with us.

Graculus, thank you for the links, I have been and looked at those pages but was just wondering if anyone knew to save me trawling. I kinda figure that if permission is needed it's mostly given seeing as it's such a hot spot. :D

I'd recommend finding at least 100 caches of different types in a variety of areas before considering hiding one. There are plenty of caches around, so there's no rush to hide one and the last thing you want is to start off with an average cache which you soon regret. If you attract no favourite points in the first few weeks it's going to be a bit disheartening. The best trick is to find some exceptionally good caches and see if you can copy the ideas but make them even better.