Puzzle Cache Primer

Let me preface my post by saying I am not looking for help with any specific cache, what I am looking for in help in a more general way.

So we are looking for a little guidance here and hoping you can point us in the right-ish way. We have been caching for a bit now and the 1.5/1.5's still have their place in our caching lives, but honestly we are frequently looking for something much more challenging. As a result, we have been going for higher terrain and difficulty caches when we have time, but when you are sitting at home, sometimes it is just fun to work on a mystery/puzzle cache and have something to look forward to next time you get out.

That being said, there are several in our area and we have done a few of them, but as I was working on (what I think is) a substitution cipher today, I realized that we just don't have the tools necessary to crack a lot of these things. So, what do we do?

A few months back G.E.O. (a local Geocaching organization) did a workshop on puzzle caches that we kick ourselves for missing, and I hate to think that we are just going to have to pray for them to be kind enough to do one again. So, is there some good primer or a good place to start to really beef up our knowledge base so we can effectively tackle these things. When we were in Seattle last, it seemed like everywhere we went there were puzzle caches (one of which just had a guy staring at you asking you to guess what he was thinking) and we realized that there is just a big world out there that we haven't had a chance to really experience.

All reference points or general assistance is more than appreciated.