Newbies need help

Trio Trouble

Hey,

I'm a nanny and one of my charges and her younger brother was very interested in getting into geocaching this summer. So far we have only been able to find one and it was a micro so the items they had to give didn't fit. We could use some help/advice on how to spot caches in the listings that would be good for two kids ages 7 and 11 to find. Thank you for any assistance.

The Trio Leader

Hey,

I'm a nanny and one of my charges and her younger brother was very interested in getting into geocaching this summer. So far we have only been able to find one and it was a micro so the items they had to give didn't fit. We could use some help/advice on how to spot caches in the listings that would be good for two kids ages 7 and 11 to find. Thank you for any assistance.

As you look at the listings for caches, you want to look for regular sized caches. Those will hold most small items.

Hey,

Look around at the map. Pick out parks or areas that they might enjoy visiting even without a cache. Then see what is there.

There is a "Recommended for Kids" attribute, so you could look for caches that have that (although searching by attributes is limited to premium members). It does not necessarily mean that the cache has trade items (or that these are the only caches that would be great for kids), but it does mean that the CO has taken the time to use the attributes feature and that he or she believes that the cache would be a good one for them.

I would look for caches with easier difficulty ratings. My daughter always has had limited patience for an extended search.

Past logs can also help identify caches that seem to be in good shape, might contain trade items, and do not require searching in an area that the kids might feel uncomfortable.

Apart from that, as the previous poster said, regular size caches have more room for trade items. When my daughter was that age she used to enjoy looking through caches, but most of the caches were pretty depleted. I know as an owner it is sometimes disappointing to check on a cache that I filled with nice trade items and see that people have taken the items without trading or replaced it with broken junk. But it gives you a good chance to go over the "trade up or even" idea and for them to learn that it is better to give than to receive -- and they can help restore a cache rather than take an item.

Edited by mulvaney

You could also get them involved with travel bugs. The tags aren't that expensive, and they can attach whatever they would like to them and "set them free". Then they can log on and enjoy seeing how many miles they have traveled, and where they have been. I know my stepson really enjoys that aspect of the game.