Additional Waypoints - Parking?

DISNerds

Hello!

I did my first cache last weekend. I downloaded the cache to my GPS (pn-60).

I used the route function to take me there..

The GPS did take me to where I needed to go....but... it was trying to take me right to the cache in the middle of the woods.

I noticed later at the bottom of the page there was a parking location.

Is there way to import that in as well....so I can route to there...then switch to the cache coordinates?

I know I can manually enter the coordinates....but is there a way that I can download them?

Thanks!

Greg

On the PN-60, just go to the Waypoints page. There you will see a bunch of waypoints with little cars to the left. The name is the GC code of the cache, but GC is replaced with PK. For example, the cache GC2KCP2 has the parking coordinates saved as PK2KCP2.

Only problem is that you need to save the GPX file to the device. The Send to GPS doesn't seem to copy any of the child waypoints. Easiest way would be to use pocket queries and the free Cache Register program on the Delorme website.

If nothing else, you can copy the parking coordinates from the cache page, paste them into Google Maps, and use the Send to GPS feature in Google Maps. (I did something similar with coordinates from a puzzle cache I figured out and wanted to send to a Garmin Nuvi.)

Hello!

I tried the copy paste method.

Could not get it to work.

I was using the Geocaching dynamic Google map...although it would show you on the map the location of the coordinates...I could not then "send to gps".

It did not create any icon...just moved to that location.

How did you do it?

Thanks!

Don't use the one from Geocaching.com, open up a new tab/window at maps.google.com and paste the coordinates into the search box.

So, to use the parking coordinates on a cache mentioned above, you'd get a page like this:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=%09N+28%C2%B0+21.946+W+081%C2%B0+32.868++&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=28.365767,-81.548029&spn=0.00114,0.003664&sll=42.533477,-83.527679&sspn=0.061097,0.169086&t=h&z=19

The green arrow is what you want, click it then click the more drop down and click Send. The rest should be easy to figure out. :) (As a sidenote, regular Google Maps can send to a wider variety of GPS units, and other devices, then when used through the Geocaching site, but the files won't automatically have extra info like hints.)

Ok, here are the steps.

Download and install the Cache Register program on Delorme.com website.

On Geocaching.com, Go to Your Profile/Quick View from the menu bar on top.

Along the right side, under "Premium Features," Click on Manage Lists.

Create a new bookmark list and give it a name.

Open each page you want to send to the PN-60

On the right, Click on Bookmark Listing

Add the page to the bookmark.

When through with all the pages, Go back to Profile/QuickView, then Manage Lists.

On the line where the new bookmark list is, click on "Create Pocket Query.

Name the query and check the day you want the query to run.

Click Submit.

Wait until the PQ is generated. You will receive an email when it is done.

Plug in your PN-60 to the computer and run Cache Register. If it is the first time run, you need to go through the setup procedure.

In Cache Register, click on "My Pocket Queries" and make sure the query you want is checked.

Click Sync. Wait until the PQ is transferred to the PN-60

Now on the PN-60, go to the Geocache page. Press the Menu button once, Click File, Click open, Click on the PQ file. Wait for the file to load.

Now the Geocaches will be on the Geocache page, and the child waypoints and parking will be on the Waypoints page.