Garmin Oregon 400t vs 450t

I am looking to replace my 10 year old GPS with a newer model with better reception. I have decided on the Garmin Oregon series for the paperless caching, GPS reception, and expandable memory. The only difference I can determine between the Oregon 400t and 450t is in the compass. On the 400 the GPS needs to be flat were as on the 450 it can be any angle.

My questions are:

1. Is this a correct assessment or are there other important differences?

2. Is the any angle compass on the 450 worth the difference in price?

I appreciate responses from those who have used these models, and respectfully ask that you stick to the question. I am not interested in information on other GPS or the $5 compass comments. I just want to know if I am correct, and if it is worth the difference in cost.

Now get out there and cache! :)

Alan Smith of BAAM-CT

The units are very similar but the 400t is the older model and is discontinued. The 450t adds a 3-axis compass, navigate to geotagged photos, and holds double the amount of waypoints and routes. Between the two obviously the 450t is the better unit but they are very close.

Im personally a fan of the 3 axis compass. I hate having to hold it level to get an accurate reading. It depends if the added features are worth it to you....if it were me I'd go for the 450t

I'll attest to the screen readability difference. The 450 has an easier to view screen in bright/ambient sunlight. If the price of each is comparable then go for the 450.

Here would be my rule; unless the 400T is at least $75 cheaper, go for the 450. You won't be sorry you paid the extra <$75 for an easier to view screen and the triaxle compass.

My 2 cents.

Edited by yogazoo

Thank you to everyone who responded! After reading your advise I have been watching eBay for an Oregon 450, but they all sell for almost the price of a new unit at Best Buy ($329) or a refurbished from Amazon ($289). After following bids for the past week, I was getting discouraged. However, this morning I got (what I consider) the deal of the century. I purchased a Garmin Oregon 550T, which retails for $599, for $250. I also had some leftover ebay gift cards which brought the total out of pocket cost down to a measly $189!! Even if I get $30 or $40 for my Garmin eTrex Legend, I think I will have gotten a great GPS for a dynamite deal.

Thanks again for your input. I hope to see you all out on the trail. :D

Now get out there and cache!

-Alan of BAAM-CT

Thank you to everyone who responded! After reading your advise I have been watching eBay for an Oregon 450, but they all sell for almost the price of a new unit at Best Buy ($329) or a refurbished from Amazon ($289). After following bids for the past week, I was getting discouraged. However, this morning I got (what I consider) the deal of the century. I purchased a Garmin Oregon 550T, which retails for $599, for $250. I also had some leftover ebay gift cards which brought the total out of pocket cost down to a measly $189!! Even if I get $30 or $40 for my Garmin eTrex Legend, I think I will have gotten a great GPS for a dynamite deal.

Thanks again for your input. I hope to see you all out on the trail. :D

Now get out there and cache!

-Alan of BAAM-CT

Wow that is an amazing price. You got lucky!