Garmin Nuvi 550 Question

Hello All!

I am very new at Geocaching... and had a question about my Garmin Nuvi 550.

It has a geocaching feature in the "where to" Menu.

When I press the "Geocaches" Button, I only get this prompt

"No Geocaches are loaded. Activate your free 30-Day trial membership at http://www.geocaching.com

to get started" It gives no code/ other user prompt.

Trouble is, I am already a Premium memberon Geocaching.com, and this message on my NUVI 550 gets me nowhere.

What do I need to do? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My firmware is up to date, and I do not have a Micro SD card in the slot under the battery compartment.

Thanks

GRASS3MANN3

M&P

First since you are a premium member you need to create a pocket query. Once you have done that you need to download it to your computer and then unzip the file. You may have to play around a bit with the query to get what you want. Don't be too restrictive of what you are looking for or you could end up with a query that has no caches. Also don't forget to check the day you want it to run.

Next plug your nuvi into the computer and let the computer recognize it. The way I transfer the query file is go to my computer, select the drive that represents the nuvi. Then I open the file with the query and copy and paste it into the gpx file on my nuvi.

Your nuvi 550 DOES have a micro SD slot. It is not under the battery but along side the battery along side where the battery contacts are towards the center or bottom of the nuvi.

We have the 550 which is what we started with. We have switch to a dakota 20. We still use the nuvi but just in the Jeep. When we get to the cache area we switch to the dakota. It's easier to carry, appears to be more accurate and the battery last longer.

Hello All!

I am very new at Geocaching... and had a question about my Garmin Nuvi 550.

It has a geocaching feature in the "where to" Menu.

When I press the "Geocaches" Button, I only get this prompt

"No Geocaches are loaded. Activate your free 30-Day trial membership at http://www.geocaching.com

to get started" It gives no code/ other user prompt.

Trouble is, I am already a Premium memberon Geocaching.com, and this message on my NUVI 550 gets me nowhere.

What do I need to do? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My firmware is up to date, and I do not have a Micro SD card in the slot under the battery compartment.

Thanks

GRASS3MANN3

M&P

There is plenty of space on the unit itself for Caches....no need for the memory card. You will want to just put your caches in the Garmin\GPX folder and they will then show up on the Nuvi 500/550. Also you need to turn the Nuvi into walking mode once you get out of the car to walk to the cache so you get to the compass mode. This also puts the Geocaches menu as the first option when you hit "Go To" so you do not need to scroll down to find it in the menu.

Also as a side note I have mentioned before do not upgrade your Nuvi 500/550 to the 4.20 firmware....there are several problems with it. Stay with one of the previous versions and it will work great.