Share the desert with the Marines

jellis

Just did a quick check by comparing geocaching maps to a map of Johnson Valley that showed the borders. Looking at the maps I estimate 50 - 100 caches could go missing. I'm very happy to say my biggest fear was not realized. I was extremely worried that the power trail to the east would be archived. Luckily, it is on the right side of the dry lake and the border for johnson valley is in the middle. The power trail is saved!!!!! :D :D :D

Honestly, with only 50 - 100 caches there geocaching isn't very big there. Some caches go unfound for years, and many are only found a few times a year, due to the terrain usually found it groups.

I think that geocaching will play very little role in what happens to the land, I think the group of Offroaders that hold the biggest off-road event in the world will have a greater bearing on this issue.

Just did a quick check by comparing geocaching maps to a map of Johnson Valley that showed the borders. Looking at the maps I estimate 50 - 100 caches could go missing. I'm very happy to say my biggest fear was not realized. I was extremely worried that the power trail to the east would be archived. Luckily, it is on the right side of the dry lake and the border for johnson valley is in the middle. The power trail is saved!!!!! :D :D :D

Honestly, with only 50 - 100 caches there geocaching isn't very big there. Some caches go unfound for years, and many are only found a few times a year, due to the terrain usually found it groups.

I think that geocaching will play very little role in what happens to the land, I think the group of Offroaders that hold the biggest off-road event in the world will have a greater bearing on this issue.

In 1980 42% of the California desert was avialable for public use. Today only 12-1/2% is. So even if the power trail to the east is not in the current plan, which has not been finalized, today tomorrow it may very well be. The Marines proposed use of this area is to accommodate large scale maneuvers by three brigades at once and the need to do an exercise of this scale is not a proven need and is up for debate.

Just to think I'm anti military, I was with the Marines for over 14 years, my father was in the Navy and my son works for the Marine Corp. I just hate to see the loss of so much more of the desert for racing, touring and yes geocaching.

In 1980 42% of the California desert was avialable for public use. Today only 12-1/2% is. So even if the power trail to the east is not in the current plan, which has not been finalized, today tomorrow it may very well be. The Marines proposed use of this area is to accommodate large scale maneuvers by three brigades at once and the need to do an exercise of this scale is not a proven need and is up for debate.

Just to think I'm anti military, I was with the Marines for over 14 years, my father was in the Navy and my son works for the Marine Corp. I just hate to see the loss of so much more of the desert for racing, touring and yes geocaching.

It stinks that people can ask logical and interesting questions like this and immediately feel the need to defend themselves as pro military. Whenever the topic of military spending comes up, I've learned to keep my mouth shut like a politician. :lol:

I just hope COs are classy enough to get out there and rescue bugs...

Actually going out there, finding the caches one last time, freeing the bugs, cleaning up the caches and getting them back to their owners might be a really cool (CITO?) event idea.

Edited by d+n.s