Shrinky Dink Coin

dorqie

My BF found a coin that was handmade out of shrinkable plastic. It was created to commemorate a cachers milestone find, and the goal of the coin was to be in said cachers next milestone cache. It was trackable, and had it's own unique icon. (I haven't gotten around to discovering it yet, and the tracking number is over at his house, so sorry, no link on my profile)

I thought this was a neat idea, but I'm curious as to what the process would be to obtain a tracking number/activation code for the purpose of making your own coin?

Oh, Yeah...As far as plastic Geocoins go, I don't think I've seen any, but wouldnt rule out the idea. I'm always trying to think of ways to rePurpose the signs we throw away at work, and most of my ideas involve cutting them up into little pieces. If I have my way, one day you'll see trackables made out of them. These ideas probably won't be a big hit with the collecors, but also may be passed up by the thieves. They should work fine as actual travelers.

It would be great if coins all came with a plastic version of them for sending out into the wild.

this is something I suggested a couple years ago when folks complained about missing/stolen coins and all the alluminum tags started saturating the market. I still think it's a good idea. and would ensure that good quality proxies were in the game. However with any good idea, you need someone to lead the way and set the standard and become the trailblazer. afterwards, if it gets good feedback, the rest will follow....

It would be great if coins all came with a plastic version of them for sending out into the wild.

this is something I suggested a couple years ago when folks complained about missing/stolen coins and all the alluminum tags started saturating the market. I still think it's a good idea. and would ensure that good quality proxies were in the game. However with any good idea, you need someone to lead the way and set the standard and become the trailblazer. afterwards, if it gets good feedback, the rest will follow....

Who better than a Lion to lead the way?? Charge!!

Who better than a Lion to lead the way?? Charge!!

lol, I was refering to a coin vendor leading the way...They have the means and support... I think maybe oakcoins is in the best position for doing so. Seems they come out with as many new alluminum tags as they do geocoins. If they offered an alluminum tag that resembles the coin,(same icon, same tracking code) then I'm sure it would boost coin activation and tag release... Like many I'm sure, I'd be willing to set the $3 tags free, but the $12 coin is going to stay safe in my collection. :D