Android GPS help

AEboy87

Hey everyone, I'm fairly new to the cache world, and I'm very interested. I'm using an android opperating phone (HTC EVO 4G) and I've downloaded the c:geo app, mostly because it was free and I've seen some not so nice reviews on the actual app. I'm having trouble getting the hang of the distance. Well the compass on the app isn't the greatest, but I like the idea of it, but it doesn't spin much and it seems like the distance will get close then really far away when I feel like I'm close to one.

I guess where I'm getting at is I was wondering if anyone else out there had an easier option or an alternative solution how I can track these things down. :) If anyone has any suggestions it would be a great help and I would greatly appreciate it!

First of all that app violates the terms of use on the Geocaching site. Your better off with the official Geocaching app.

The compass on your phone isn't an actual compass. It only updates its direction after you've moved a little ways in a single direction. So its fine as long as your moving but won't change if you stop and spin around. Its not an issue with the app and no other app will improve the compass. The phone just doesn't have an electronic compass built in. If it did then it would act like a regular compass.

Most GPSr are only accurate to about 30 feet. So as you get around 30 feet from the cache its a good idea to stop looking at your phone and start looking for possible hiding places.

Hey everyone, I'm fairly new to the cache world, and I'm very interested. I'm using an android opperating phone (HTC EVO 4G) and I've downloaded the c:geo app, mostly because it was free and I've seen some not so nice reviews on the actual app. I'm having trouble getting the hang of the distance. Well the compass on the app isn't the greatest, but I like the idea of it, but it doesn't spin much and it seems like the distance will get close then really far away when I feel like I'm close to one.

I guess where I'm getting at is I was wondering if anyone else out there had an easier option or an alternative solution how I can track these things down. :) If anyone has any suggestions it would be a great help and I would greatly appreciate it!

The best suggestion I can give is you make sure you have a good lock on your GPS. Once you do, get as close to the cache as you can using your compass. Once it starts to bounce around a bit, put down your phone and start searching. Sometimes people get caught up checking there device, but a GPS can only be SO accurate. You may need to look at a decent size radius.

I use c:geo and it works great. Did you also download "radar" to go with c:geo? That app makes c:geo really shine. You may as well bite the bullet and get the official app from Groundspeak, ($10.00) it doesn't work as well as c:geo but it may someday if they keep updating it to look like c:geo.

Thanks for all the help, I didn't realize that c:geo was frowned upon so much, I was new to everything and didn't want to dive in and spend money on something I wasn't too sure about?!?! Sry if I offended anyone?!? I appreciate your help, and I'll try downloading that radar thing too. I've tried some other GPS apps, and haven't had much luck, but I'm finding these last couple of days, I've been able to track them down pretty easy, I guess its something I'll just have to get use to. Thanks for everyones help!!

Its only frowned upon by certain ppl...1000 of people use c:geo....they do a great job....ppl just complain because its free and the official one costs.....yet it does exactly the same thing! The compass works great just make sure ur locked on in a good open space...be careful with lots of tree cover as it can go abit crazy but usually still works perfectly!

ppl just complain because its free and the official one costs.....yet it does exactly the same thing!
No, that isn't it at all. People complain because c:geo violates the Geocaching.com TOU by scraping the site. There are other apps that are free, but which respect the Geocaching.com TOU (for example, GeoBeagle or GeoHunter), and people don't complain about them.