IPAD and Geocaching

For what its worth, I take my laptop in the car for all day cache runs and have my query loaded onto google earth. I still use a gpsr once we are out of the car but there are times when we have really been shaking our head and found google earth to be extremely helpful for everything from deciding which direction we wanted to try to reach the cache from to getting a better idea about the landmarks near the location.

We also use the laptop to do the logging with is much easier!

For what its worth, I take my laptop in the car for all day cache runs and have my query loaded onto google earth. I still use a gpsr once we are out of the car but there are times when we have really been shaking our head and found google earth to be extremely helpful for everything from deciding which direction we wanted to try to reach the cache from to getting a better idea about the landmarks near the location.

We also use the laptop to do the logging with is much easier!

Many on this forum will argue that Google Earth (downloaded from the geocache.com website as Google Earth Viewer) is full of inaccuracies. Personally, I use it all the time for exactly the reasons you do and I find it to be not only accurate but invaluable.

I used it once for Geocaching (Ipad 2) and the GPS is way more accurate than the Iphone 4 but it's too big. For urban caching maybe since it is easier to log the caches and the battery last longer. If you are going to use it for Geocaching get a good case like the Otterbox Defender the smart cover justo dont protect the Ipad.

Edited by Np3ba

If you are going to use it for Geocaching get a good case like the Otterbox Defender the smart cover justo dont protect the Ipad.

I do have the Griffin Survivor as my iPad did hit the cement and ended up having the glass replaced ($230 at Mission Repair in KS). The Survivor is a heavy case, and I'm looking to find some kind of shoulder strap I can use to carry my iPad around when I'm hiking and geocaching. Has anyone come across anything like this, or a sling or something? I'd rather not put the iPad into a shoulder bag as that defeats the purpose and ability to look at the screen as we approach the cache.

I can't believe someone hasn't come up with just a strap-like thing! /: