Magellan Explorist GC - Love, But Need 1 Feature

So I love my Magellan Explorist GC. Does everything I need to easily and effectively. I'm extremely happy with it save for its lack of a compass. Is there a GPS that won't put me in the poorhouse that has one and is as easy to work with? I know there are a lot of 'em, but they're all a few price tiers above the $149 GC.

Thoughts?

And Thanks!

Well i can think of a couple of other key features the GC is missing. But if you like the Explorist GC then look at the other Explorist models. But most GPSr that have a compass cost about $200 or more.

This is a complaint i'm starting to have with my Dakota 10. I wanted the 20 but couldn't afford it. But i keep a basic compass or 2 with me when caching anyway.

Edited by mpilchfamily

I'll be the obvious one and ask "Why not carry a real compass?"

I don't mean to direct this topic too far off course, but I wanted to make a comment. An electronic compass is a nice option and my newest GPS has one. However, I got along just fine before I had one and found a couple thousand caches. A compass, electronic or otherwise has some obvious uses for the geocacher (offset and projection caches in particular) but I never really understood the benefit of a compass in the "wilderness" as a navigation tool unless you are plotting your course on a paper map (which I am reasonably sure some of you probably do).

I'll be the obvious one and ask "Why not carry a real compass?"

I don't mean to direct this topic too far off course, but I wanted to make a comment. An electronic compass is a nice option and my newest GPS has one. However, I got along just fine before I had one and found a couple thousand caches. A compass, electronic or otherwise has some obvious uses for the geocacher (offset and projection caches in particular) but I never really understood the benefit of a compass in the "wilderness" as a navigation tool unless you are plotting your course on a paper map (which I am reasonably sure some of you probably do).

I won't say I plot it on a paper map, but I do plot it on a google map or an aerial view just to get an idea where I'm going. Sometimes when you're out in the nethers, it does get easy to get turned around. A compass will at least give you an idea where you're facing. Also, it would stabilize the spinning disc that is the "compass" on my GC (which essentially determines bearing by tracking your walking).