Links to search results?

Bill D (wwh)

I just posted a link to a search results page in another thread. When I checked the link in my post it didn't take me to the search results page, but to the search page itself.

The link was this.

It should be search results for webcam caches in Finland, but it's the search page instead.

It looks like a link posted by the previous poster in the same thread had a similar problem, but the poster didn't realise.

I copied the address from the address bar and pasted into the url box, as I usually do. Is this a bug, or am I missing something?

Bill

-------------------------------

"Ah, take the Cache and let the Credit go..."

The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam, trans. Edward Fitzgerald

There's an example how in the process of trying to make the pages harder to scrape, the users have lost functionality or have to work harder to get the same functionality.

Now that so many pages use forms that hold viewstates, the user selection doesn't appear in the URLs so you can't bookmark search results any more.

You can, however, sometimes synthesize the same results. Like in your case, you can follow the link to one of the caches and then take the "find nearby caches of this type" link and bookmark THAT page since that smuggles the data in the URL itself intead of as a form or a viewstate. You can choose either form:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/redir.asp?ID=83117&R=11

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?tx={31D2AE3C-C358-4B5F-8DCD-2185BF472D3D}&lat=60.15593&lon=24.69642

Thanks for that information!

In the case I gave, I just replaced the link with links to the individual caches. But then, there are only three webcam caches in Finland!

Bill

-------------------------------

"Ah, take the Cache and let the Credit go..."

The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam, trans. Edward Fitzgerald