Travel Bugs

Ghost-train

Please try and inform new cachers and perhaps remind older cachers on the etiquette regarding the taking of Bugs. I have two bugs in Australia and thought they were missing. When I checked their page I find the cachers who have them are taking them "visiting" caches. Although they are logged I do not get notification probably because they are not actually "dropped" into a cache.These are held in possession for months at a time. The idea of Travelling is to move on surely.? I did notify one of the cachers who eventually placed the Bug in a cache.

See TB TB32VEV OR TB3E3EB Also how long should we wait if a TB in a foreign country ceases to move do we mark it as missing? I have translated a note and logged it into the last cache the TB was seen in to try and get a reply if the TB is still there. worked once !

*Tracking number removed by moderator*

Edited by Eartha

Please try and inform new cachers and perhaps remind older cachers on the etiquette regarding the taking of Bugs. I have two bugs in Australia and thought they were missing. When I checked their page I find the cachers who have them are taking them "visiting" caches. Although they are logged I do not get notification probably because they are not actually "dropped" into a cache.These are held in possession for months at a time. The idea of Travelling is to move on surely.? I did notify one of the cachers who eventually placed the Bug in a cache.

See TB TB32VEV OR TB3E3EB Also how long should we wait if a TB in a foreign country ceases to move do we mark it as missing? I have translated a note and logged it into the last cache the TB was seen in to try and get a reply if the TB is still there. worked once !

Currently you don't get a notification when a bug is visited. Keep in mind that not all caches are big enough to hold a bug, but I do like seeing the bug get credit for visiting the cache. I do agree that holding a bug for months dipping it through caches is a bit much. Nothing wrong with requesting someone to place it when they can.

You don't want to mark a bug as missing simply because it's not moving. You need a report that it wasn't found in the cache. Then, once reported, wait 30 days.

Edited by BlueDeuce

My understanding is that the trackable owner receives notification of any action on their trackable, whether it's dropped, discovered, or dipped. (visited a cache).

There must be a glitch somewhere if you have to check your trackables pages to see recent actions.

Visited stopped sending email, it's not clear to me if that was intentional or not. I think it should send one.

My understanding is that the trackable owner receives notification of any action on their trackable, whether it's dropped, discovered, or dipped. (visited a cache).

There must be a glitch somewhere if you have to check your trackables pages to see recent actions.

Visited stopped sending email, it's not clear to me if that was intentional or not. I think it should send one.

I'm hoping it was a mistake/glitch, and that GS didn't intentionally change something like that without letting their members know about it.

Cuz that ain't right.

Is there a way to find out whether it's an unfortunate glitch for sure?

Some months back (possibly before Christmas) I saw a post by OpinioNate about this matter. He said that Groundspeak stopped the email notifications of "visits" because there were just too many of them. As an example he mentioned a cacher who had been "visiting" 50+ trackables through hundreds of caches thus generating a huge mass of email notifications.

Sorry but I haven't time to do a search for his post right now - It's out there in GS Forumland somewhere...

MrsB :)