multi caches

Multi's seem to get found less, but they seem to get more favourite votes. Hopefully the new favourites system will help make interesting caches more popular and encourage people into placing more complex or interesting caches.

I think it is having an effect. I know in my case it has. I tried a multi-favored multi-cache a 45 minute drive away. It was an amazing modern cemetery, very park-like and was planted with permission. I found stage 1, didn't find stage 2 but it was early spring and I had a feeling the snow on the ground was the problem. I stayed for awhile anyway and visited the beautiful little chapel on the grounds. I was happy to make the trip back a few months, at which point I found all of the stages and had a nice tour of the large grounds which included ponds, gazebos, and trails through a wooded area. Before the favourite system, there was little chance I would have known about this great multi-cache because I pretty much only look for traditionals, letterboxes and the occasional puzzle (that I have geochecker confirmed coords for) when I'm out of town.

I tend to give multis a glance but will avoid them for a couple reasons.

1. If one stage on that thing is not maintained it all goes to pot. I'm not into raising my numbers but I do like to actually find caches. If I didn't I would just do hiking. And if I don't even have a chance at find a cache because one of the stages of it is a mess it's just kind of annoying.

Yes, besides the unknown time it will take, this is also a big reason why I'm reluctant to do out-of-town multis - missing stage, can't read the faded/washed out coordinates at a stage, a stage that I am unable to find it because I messed up a calculation or don't understand the instructions. It's frustrating and if it's too far out-of-town I may never be able to get back to finish it.

One way to guard against this, when traveling, is when you run a PQ, check the box that says "Found in the last 7 days". If it's been found recently, the chances are obviously better that all stages are there and in good shape. I never exclude multi's when I travel and even the times I've come to a dead end because of missing stages/signs/numbers, etc, I've just chalked it up as part of the hunt.

As for multi's in general, I don't set out to specifically find multi's on a normal caching trip...I'll do them if they're nearby. But, if I look at my watchlist, the majority of caches that I'd flag as "absolutely, must-do when I get the chance" are multi's.