Garmin Dakota 20

nuthin2do

I bought my Garmin from Cabella's and it didn't come with any type of book....I haven't been able to download a pocket query into it and was wondering if anyone had any info on that. Thanks in advance...we have only 114 finds and have already hidden 14 caches in our very rural area... having a lot of fun.

The Dakota 20 is a great unit, and it's the one I'm currently using. After you hook up the unit to your computer using a cable, you will be able to browse the folders on it. There is a folder called GPX, and that's where your unzipped pocket query files need to be.

Keep in mind that the Dakota has a 2000 cache limit, so be careful how many of your PQs are on it at once. After you hit 2000, it'll cause errors when you try to see cache descriptions and things from the unit.

I hope this helps, and have fun!

Thanks for the info, I have other questions on this unit.

How does one delete all the cache information stored on it for a fresh start.?

I tried using Base Camp, but don't want to destroy anything else.

When I became a paid member a while back, will I have to reload my downloaded caches to access the information now.?

The same way you put caches on is the same way you take them off. Plug the unit into your PC and navigate to the GPX folder on the unit. Then delete the GPX files you have on it. You won't be able to delete just the found caches. So if you want to clear those out you'll need to delete the whole GPX file and run a new PQ.

The same way you put caches on is the same way you take them off. Plug the unit into your PC and navigate to the GPX folder on the unit. Then delete the GPX files you have on it. You won't be able to delete just the found caches. So if you want to clear those out you'll need to delete the whole GPX file and run a new PQ.

Whats a PQ

I just got the thing, nothing in the PDF says PQ

The Dakota 20 is a great unit, and it's the one I'm currently using. After you hook up the unit to your computer using a cable, you will be able to browse the folders on it. There is a folder called GPX, and that's where your unzipped pocket query files need to be.

Keep in mind that the Dakota has a 2000 cache limit, so be careful how many of your PQs are on it at once. After you hit 2000, it'll cause errors when you try to see cache descriptions and things from the unit.

I hope this helps, and have fun!

Thanks...still not sure what I am doing...will keep working at it! I always like to see who I am talking to, so checked out your profile...your pics are gorgeous! I am also a big scrapper so 1/2 of the fun of geocaching is scrapping the pics and memories we have had finding the find! We only have 112 finds, but I already have 48 pages scrapped...I have just about every find captured! Thanks again for the info...happy caching!

When I became a paid member a while back, will I have to reload my downloaded caches to access the information now.?

Always best to delete old files.

If you have any loaded from before you became a Premium Member, they can cause problems with new caches loaded now you are a Premium Member. (eg. The unit defaults to making you non-PM)

PQ = Pocket Query.

Markwells guide http://www.markwell.us/pq.htm

Allows up to 1,000 caches to be added to your unit in one go.

Always best to delete old files.

If you have any loaded from before you became a Premium Member, they can cause problems with new caches loaded now you are a Premium Member. (eg. The unit defaults to making you non-PM)

PQ = Pocket Query.

Markwells guide http://www.markwell.us/pq.htm

Allows up to 1,000 caches to be added to your unit in one go.

Thank you very much for the info and link.

That makes life much easier and answers the big questions.

Thanks...still not sure what I am doing...will keep working at it! I always like to see who I am talking to, so checked out your profile...your pics are gorgeous! I am also a big scrapper so 1/2 of the fun of geocaching is scrapping the pics and memories we have had finding the find! We only have 112 finds, but I already have 48 pages scrapped...I have just about every find captured! Thanks again for the info...happy caching!

Thank you! Part of the fun for me is documenting my adventures, through pictures and nice online logs. I also use a voice recorder while hunting for caches, to help me remember interesting things about the finds, the condition of the containers, funny things that happened to me on the way, swag I traded, etc. The recordings are useful for writing my online logs, plus I can go back and listen to the adventures I had way back when. One time I had my voice recorder on while I was approaching the ground zero of a cache, and a big red fox came up and scared the crap out of me, lol. My reaction was priceless, and it was fun to go back and re-listen to it!

Edited by Vexidus

Thank you! Part of the fun for me is documenting my adventures, through pictures and nice online logs. I also use a voice recorder while hunting for caches, to help me remember interesting things about the finds, the condition of the containers, funny things that happened to me on the way, swag I traded, etc. The recordings are useful for writing my online logs, plus I can go back and listen to the adventures I had way back when. One time I had my voice recorder on while I was approaching the ground zero of a cache, and a big red fox came up and scared the crap out of me, lol. My reaction was priceless, and it was fun to go back and re-listen to it!

Don't get into the boat of carrying too much equipment. You should learn to use the "field notes" on your GPSr. We just made up a shorthand language we use. You upload it when returning home, and your field notes will be accessible from your profile page. All dated, and listed as "Found" or "DNF". Finish out your shorthand notes, push submit, and it's all logged for you.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee