My - soon to be Our - first cache.

PapaGPS

I wanted to take my kids out tonight to find our first cache, but it is 97 degrees and pretty humid, so I decided to wait. Turns out that I was super close to where the cache was hidden, so i decided to "pre-find" it so that my kids aren't disappointed. So, I went and found it. The GPS had me within about 5' of where the actual cache was. This particular one was TOO EASY for an adult, but I think my kids will be thrilled. I picked up the cache, just to make sure it was the cache, then put it back just like I found it. If the heat breaks I will bring the kids and then we will officially "find" it.

It was / is pretty cool. I am pretty sure this will become a hobby of ours.

Congrats! It's a great thing that you hunted a cache and found it with good accuracy. Do remember that as the kids start to find them that you keep an eye on how and where they were hidden. It's a great activity to have kids try to find it, then to give them the task to rehide well (within the difficulty rating of the cache, of course)

Many caches slowly start to be more and more apparent. Rehiding well assures that more families will find the caches instead of empty hidey-holes!

So, it went down to 89 degrees tonight and I let the kids find it.... However they might not have as my daughter would not listen to me when I kept saying over and over "follow the arrow."..... Since I had pre-found it, I knew exactly where it was. The only bad part was that I tried to be a nice guy and invite the girl from next door. She came, but was fairly obnoxious and wanted to take everything in the cache. I don't know if I will ever invite her again. OTOH, my kids loved it and behaved for me. This was a cemetery cache, and the young girl had no respect for the graves.

On the PLUS SIDE, my kids had a blast and asked if we could do more tonight, but I only planned on doing one, so that is all we did. Sadly, I did not know that there was one about 500 yards away from the one I did, or we would have done that one too.

I like your style - keep them wanting for more! Welcome to the fun, I'm glad your kids made you proud by behaving...I'm sure you told them that though.

It took a small 5 year old to spot a micro up in a tree recently....3 sets of adult eyes didn't do as well and we were closer to it! Kids also have some neat ideas for creative hides...that will probably come fairly quickly. Have a look at the thread "Cool Cache Containers" in Geocaching Topics for some great pics.

Keep us posted, and Happy Caching...