GPX Request - Include All Logs (minus text)

skydiver

First let me say I completely understand the need to limit the number of logs to include with each cache in the GPX files. People can get pretty wordy in their logs (myself included) which would make those files quite huge if they were all included for every cache.

However, is there any chance we could get all of the logs after the first 5, minus the tag? That would give apps that just need to know who logged it, and the type of log, everything they need without making the files unecessarily huge.

Maybe a trade off? When people create the pcoket query, they could choose between...

• The first 5 logs entry's, including the text (as it is now). Or...
  • All the log entry's, with none of the log texts.

---------------------------------------

"We never seek things for themselves -- what we seek is the very seeking of things."

Blaise Pascal (1623-1662)

quote:
Originally posted by Sissy-n-CR:

So what would be the point? Watcha have in mind that would need all of the logs?

Well, my point system for one, so I can convert it over to GPX, and stop rudely mining data. I've also had requests to setup the system in other parts of the country, which I absolutely refuse to do, until I can do so without mining the data.

"We never seek things for themselves -- what we seek is the very seeking of things."

Blaise Pascal (1623-1662)

quote:
Originally posted by Sissy-n-CR:

So what would be the point? Watcha have in mind that would need all of the logs?

Well, sometimes you can have the five most recent logs and that's just not enough to give you what you need. This is common in cases with really stinky coordinates.

Maybe you're at a locationless site and you're trying to figure out if it's been logged.

Maybe you're studying a locationless cache and would like to put a pushpin in a map (via gpsbabel, of course) for every Covered Bridge so you can plan a trip to see them. (Don't laugh, my father-in-law does that sort of stuff.)

I found when working with PDA data that 25 logs was a good size compromise. I really didn't need the coords of every flagpole, but I did want more than five logs.

I'd love to see more than five. If "all" is an u nreasonable number, my experience tells me that 25 is usually adequate.

I for one am wishing that skydiver could do this in other parts of the country and have even voluteered one of my pocket queiry spots.

However... This fix solves one problem. Skydivers. Other people with ideas every bit as good will end up needing their own data.

Since Jerimy says no on data-mining though this is all we can get.

Wherever you go there you are.

I think there is enough people here in boise that want this, we could "mine" the data for you until the this issue is resolved? How hard is it to get? Is it some thing we can be taught, and post to a ftp for you? lets do this one way or another.

-mudnuri

mudnuri