To rename or not to rename

Earlier in the year I set 5 caches as part of a small series with the intention of adding more in the summer to complete it. That time has now come and I am intending to add the final 4 caches this weekend. Unfortunately the numbering of the series is going to be confusing - either caches names like 'Cache 4B' or numbering out of sequence. In addition, cache 1 is now not the closest to the suggested parking.

I believe my best options are:

1) Name the caches using the 'Cache 4B' format and add an extra description to the cache page and accept the slightly confusing numbering.

OR

2) Renumber the series sequentially which will mean some caches names will change.

I have not been able to find a recommended approach elsewhere on the forums (apologies if it has been discussed already) and would like opinions. I would prefer to follow option 2 but I don't want to upset people who have already found the existing caches. I have asked a couple of other cachers who are unsure but lean toward option 1.

Thanks

Earlier in the year I set 5 caches as part of a small series with the intention of adding more in the summer to complete it. That time has now come and I am intending to add the final 4 caches this weekend. Unfortunately the numbering of the series is going to be confusing - either caches names like 'Cache 4B' or numbering out of sequence. In addition, cache 1 is now not the closest to the suggested parking.

I believe my best options are:

1) Name the caches using the 'Cache 4B' format and add an extra description to the cache page and accept the slightly confusing numbering.

OR

2) Renumber the series sequentially which will mean some caches names will change.

I have not been able to find a recommended approach elsewhere on the forums (apologies if it has been discussed already) and would like opinions. I would prefer to follow option 2 but I don't want to upset people who have already found the existing caches. I have asked a couple of other cachers who are unsure but lean toward option 1.

Thanks

Renaming the older ones will really confuse those that have already found them. I would not advise that. Option #3 would be to simply forget about calling them a series, and simply put them out as new caches.

If people start at the suggested parking, I doubt they will care how you have them numbered.

If people start at the other end coming from the other direction, I doubt they will care how you have them numbered.

If people want to do number 1 first, number 2 second, number three third etc, then they certainly can as well!

In general, I don't like it when people re-name an existing cache, but they do. That is why we have the unique GC number to tell them apart.

I am generally in favor of renaming caches. For example, I found a cache called "Tuesday Morning" early in my caching career. When I found the cache, it was next to a completely empty, unidentifiable building. I mentioned this in my log, and the hiders renamed it "Tuesday Morning (formerly)." Didn't hurt anyone. :)

As already mentioned, unless there's a reason that people have to do it in a particular order, most are likely not to look at the numbers anyway. I strongly recommend adding a descriptive distinguishing name to the number, as I see two of the caches in your series have as I write this. (Possibly you are in the middle of making changes.) If people want to talk about the caches, the numbers will only be confusing. Give them names.

I maintain several caches originally placed by Tallahassee Parks and Recreation. Three were originally named Optimist Park I, Optimist Park II, and Optimist Park III. When originally placed, the log books in II and III got switched, and it took a while to straighten that out. Even now, I can't remember which is which by number. I got the owner of record to change the names so that they are now Optimist Park I - Clubhouse, Optimist Park II - Woods, and Optimist Park III - Greenway. Or something like that ... I might have II and III swapped.

Which reminds me that I need to be working on a replacement container for ... which one is it? Clubhouse.

Edward

I've renamed a few caches. It's no big deal. In several cases case I created a series and had existing caches that I wanted to include in the series so I changed the names so they would be part of the series. In another case an early finder came up with a far better name for it in his log so I switched it to that. There really isn't much of a chance for confusion for anyone who uses pocket queries because they can eliminate found caches from them so they won't even show up on their GPS.