Lowrance Endura Safari

jschnitzius

Wish I could help. I have had my Safari for almost a year now and can't figure out how to operate it correctly. This is my first GPS and all the bells and whistles have knocked me for a loop. The User Manual that came with the unit is HORRIBLE!!!! It assumes you have been using a GPS for a long time. No instructions on how to do something; just descriptions of what the major screens are (they don't even go into detail for the "sub-screens". Well, I'm not an expert and I need documentation that will take my hand and lead me through the steps I need to tell my unit what I want to do. I still haven't figured out how to manually hand key a cache's coordinates into the unit. I'm not sure it can be done and the User's Manual is certainly no help. I don't want to take a day searching the internet for basic instructions that should have been included in the documentation. If Lowrance really wants to improve something, start with the documentation so I can figure out how to use the dang thing! :blink:

What do you mean "highlight"? The main menu has a selection for geocaches. Press that and you get a list of the caches you've loaded sorted by distance.

I still haven't figured out how to manually hand key a cache's coordinates into the unit. I'm not sure it can be done and the User's Manual is certainly no help.

Mark a waypoint, then edit the coordinates to match those of the cache.

Bought this yesterday and I am having ALOT of trouble getting geocaches to highlite so I can even begin to enjoy this. does anyone have any suggestions?

I am not an employee of Lowrance, but am a long time geocacher and now a new to their Pro Staff team, with responsibility to support geocaching related forums. So I will help you with questions regarding your Endura.

Have you gotten help with this issue yet? I am confused by what you say about "getting geocaches to highlite". If you select geocaches from the menu all the caches that you downloaded should come up. If you don't see any, perhaps the download failed. If you do see them, just touch the cache you want to find and the details will appear. Let me know which scenario we need to address so that I can get you caching with your Endura.

Also, have you downloaded the V1.5 upgrade yet? Most of these software improvements provide direct benefit to geocachers and many were added just to enhance geocaching.

Endura V1.5

Lowrance Pro Staffer, just trying to get the facts on Endura correct

Wish I could help. I have had my Safari for almost a year now and can't figure out how to operate it correctly. This is my first GPS and all the bells and whistles have knocked me for a loop. The User Manual that came with the unit is HORRIBLE!!!! It assumes you have been using a GPS for a long time. No instructions on how to do something; just descriptions of what the major screens are (they don't even go into detail for the "sub-screens". Well, I'm not an expert and I need documentation that will take my hand and lead me through the steps I need to tell my unit what I want to do. I still haven't figured out how to manually hand key a cache's coordinates into the unit. I'm not sure it can be done and the User's Manual is certainly no help. I don't want to take a day searching the internet for basic instructions that should have been included in the documentation. If Lowrance really wants to improve something, start with the documentation so I can figure out how to use the dang thing! :blink:

I am not an employee of Lowrance, but am a long time geocacher and now a new member of their Pro Staff team with responsibility to support geocaching related forums and events.

That being said...What can I help you with?

While I can't rewrite the user manual, I can address specific operational questions that apply to geocaching. Sometimes I will have to consult with my support team to validate my answers, prior to replying on the forums, but I get good turnaround time from them. So if you send me some questions, I'll get you the answers.

Have you downloaded the latest software upgrade for the Endura V1.5 ? If not, try it. I think you will be pleased.

Lowrance Pro Staffer, just trying to get the facts on Endura correct

Hello Lowrance Lady,

I submitted a request to Lowrance last night about my current problem, but if you can shed some light on the problem more quickly I would appreciate it. Here is my problem. I did install the 1.5 update. Prior to the update, I could see all geocaches on my Safari. After the 1.5 install, my unit no longer showed any of the geocaches that were loaded. It was as if the unit didn't know any were loaded. I thought that the install my have been corrupted, so I reset the unit to the default settings, then reinstalled the 1.1 update and the 1.4 update. After the 1.4 reinstall, I could see my geocaches again. I then reinstalled 1.5 and all but one of my geocaches disappeared again. The unit one only display the 1 cache. I hooked the unit up to my PC and the PC shows that all the fiels are loaded on the unit in the GPX folder. I tried loading new files to the unit, but the result is the same.

I have thought that maybe the way I download my files is wrong. I am not a premium member of geocaching.com, so I can only download .LOC files. When I search for caches, I go to the search screen and pull up a list of caches in a desired location. I go to the bottom to the blue Waypoint Downloads box, click the Check All button (all caches are checked), type the security words and click the Download Waypoints button. I do this one page at a time. Since I download more than one file, I give each a different name, but keep the .LOC extension. I then either drag or cut and paste the files to my Safari GPX folder. I have tried loading a single file instead of multiple files and the results are the same. Do you have any idea why this is happening?

One thing I have noticed is that sometimes, after I load the .LOC files to the unit, they are later renamed and the extension is changed from .LOC to .GPX, but I assumed this is part of the normal operation of the unit.

Thanks.

I am in the process of escalating your earlier post. So I will add this to it. But first I am going to replicate what you do, using my Sierra. Since I have had my Endura I have always been a premium member, so haven't loaded .LOC files. I will get back to you within 48 hours. If you hear from Customer Support with a solution will you let me know. Thanks.

Hello Lowrance Lady,

I submitted a request to Lowrance last night about my current problem, but if you can shed some light on the problem more quickly I would appreciate it. Here is my problem. I did install the 1.5 update. Prior to the update, I could see all geocaches on my Safari. After the 1.5 install, my unit no longer showed any of the geocaches that were loaded. It was as if the unit didn't know any were loaded. I thought that the install my have been corrupted, so I reset the unit to the default settings, then reinstalled the 1.1 update and the 1.4 update. After the 1.4 reinstall, I could see my geocaches again. I then reinstalled 1.5 and all but one of my geocaches disappeared again. The unit one only display the 1 cache. I hooked the unit up to my PC and the PC shows that all the fiels are loaded on the unit in the GPX folder. I tried loading new files to the unit, but the result is the same.

I have thought that maybe the way I download my files is wrong. I am not a premium member of geocaching.com, so I can only download .LOC files. When I search for caches, I go to the search screen and pull up a list of caches in a desired location. I go to the bottom to the blue Waypoint Downloads box, click the Check All button (all caches are checked), type the security words and click the Download Waypoints button. I do this one page at a time. Since I download more than one file, I give each a different name, but keep the .LOC extension. I then either drag or cut and paste the files to my Safari GPX folder. I have tried loading a single file instead of multiple files and the results are the same. Do you have any idea why this is happening?

One thing I have noticed is that sometimes, after I load the .LOC files to the unit, they are later renamed and the extension is changed from .LOC to .GPX, but I assumed this is part of the normal operation of the unit.

Thanks.

I will let you know if I hear from support. Thanks.

I am in the process of escalating your earlier post. So I will add this to it. But first I am going to replicate what you do, using my Sierra. Since I have had my Endura I have always been a premium member, so haven't loaded .LOC files. I will get back to you within 48 hours. If you hear from Customer Support with a solution will you let me know. Thanks.

Hello Lowrance Lady,

Thanks.

We have a Safari and I agree it is difficult to figure out what to do with it!! To manually key in cache coords, you have to go to "Waypoints" on the menu. Our Safari has blank entries (waypoint000, waypoint001) and we pick one and edit the name to the cache name, then edit the coords, etc, etc. You can add a written description of the cache and hint (or even voice record notes)! It isn't hard, mostly tedious as you have to move back and forth between the letter and number screens with a Greek alphabet screen between them! We have dial-up internet, so haven't tried to download caches onto it, so can't help there. Hope this helps!

That does help. Thanks.

We have a Safari and I agree it is difficult to figure out what to do with it!! To manually key in cache coords, you have to go to "Waypoints" on the menu. Our Safari has blank entries (waypoint000, waypoint001) and we pick one and edit the name to the cache name, then edit the coords, etc, etc. You can add a written description of the cache and hint (or even voice record notes)! It isn't hard, mostly tedious as you have to move back and forth between the letter and number screens with a Greek alphabet screen between them! We have dial-up internet, so haven't tried to download caches onto it, so can't help there. Hope this helps!

I want to touch base with you so that you don't think that I have forgotten. I have been trading messages with Endura Technical Support and they are troubleshooting this at their end. I hope to have an answer for you by then. Thanks for your patience.

Hello Lowrance Lady,

Thanks.

I want to touch base with you so that you don't think that I have forgotten. I have been trading messages with Endura Technical Support and they are troubleshooting this at their end. I hope to have an answer for you by then. Thanks for your patience.

Hello Lowrance Lady,

Thanks.

Hello Lowrance Lady,

Thanks.

Edited by BWW51