Georgia

I am just getting started in Geocaching. I was in Atlanta last weekend and I received no "real help." However, I want to purchase the absolute, most appropriate GPS, hand-held system. I know absolutely nothing about which GPS will make it possible to achieve my goal. Can anyone help me out with which/what product to purchase?

Thanks for any help! (I look forward to trecking through the woods!)

I am just getting started in Geocaching. I was in Atlanta last weekend and I received no "real help." However, I want to purchase the absolute, most appropriate GPS, hand-held system. I know absolutely nothing about which GPS will make it possible to achieve my goal. Can anyone help me out with which/what product to purchase?

Thanks for any help! (I look forward to trecking through the woods!)

Try this sticky thread at the top of the forum:

What GPS should I buy?

If yu got the money the new Garmin Montana looks pretty good

Except, it isn't currently available AND it doesn't support Wherigo. Pass...I would take the Oregon 550t over the 650t/Montana...it's available now, supports Wherigo, and with the money you save you can add City Navigator routing maps.

If yu got the money the new Garmin Montana looks pretty good

Except, it isn't currently available AND it doesn't support Wherigo. Pass...I would take the Oregon 550t over the 650t/Montana...it's available now, supports Wherigo, and with the money you save you can add City Navigator routing maps.

GPSCity says available Jun 3 (tomorrow) the last time I checked. Amazon says 2 - 4 weeks.

I would go into a Target and try out the Magellan eXplorist GC. For $150 (or less) they're the cheapest paperless geocaching unit available, I believe.

Paperless means that, with a premium membership, you have the details of the cache (size, difficulty, terrain, description, hints, past log) available on the unit, and at the end of the day you can transfer a record of your finds and DNFs to the computer, upload it to the site, and make logging easier.

More expensive units come with the ability to allow you to load maps. You can have different maps showing roads, terrain, points of interest, and so on. Garmin units usually excel at this, because as the most popular GPS manufacturer, there are many free maps available.

Some units come with electronic compass and barometer. The barometer allows more accurate measurement of altitude (but needs to be calibrated). The compass allows you to see the correct direction when you're not moving. When you are moving (normal walking speed), all GPSr knows the correct direction, from sensing the difference in location from one second to the next.

Edited by Chrysalides

Want to thank everyone for their input! Over the holiday I went into the mountains from Cleveland, TN (Ocoee #3 through the mountains to Lake Conasauga--Grassy Mountain--Eton, GA). One lane, dirt road, not on any map. I would have liked to have had a GPS device that could really help!

Have $$ for the best thing. Just need info on the best, easiest to use, system.

Thanks again!

Best and Easiest To Use...kinda reminds me of that saying about two things everyone has... :unsure:

You'll get lots of opinions...but I'll say this, most expensive doesn't mean it's the best and cheapest doesn't always mean it's the worst (e.g. some folks like caching with a basic GPS while others need to have paperless, lots of maps, etc)...easiest to use depends on how you'll use it (e.g. some people like a touch screen, some like buttons).

Seriously, combined with what you are told here...attend a local event and ask folks to show you what they have, how to use it and what they like or don't like about it. Nothing like a little 1st hand experience.

Personally I find the touch screens to have the easiest learning curve, because there's no guessing what button does what. But their screens are typically dimmer (partly due to the resistive touchscreen layer).

If you're prepared to spend a few hundred $ on a GPS receiver, definitely ask someone to demonstrate their unit, and see if it fits your requirement. Or you can attend a class at REI if there is one near you.