Help With loading GPS

Gryphyn454

I am fairly new to geocaching and would like to load all cache locations in Florida into my Garmin Nuvi 765 so that if I am in an area and feel like grabbing a cache I can see whats around and go.

Problem is I became a premium member to have access to GPX function and it appears I can only send one at a time and cannot find the description of the cache or D/T etc.

I would appreciate any help

Thanks in advance!

Jerry

briansnat - thanks for the info, when I receive (or download the PQ, do I need to run it through EasyGPS or load it directly to my GPSr?

Mpilchfamily - I planned on adding them (or what would fit) to an 8GB SD Card, but since i have to run so many queries I will just add them for the local areas for now and section it off for areas I plan on visiting at a later date.

briansnat - thanks for the info, when I receive (or download the PQ, do I need to run it through EasyGPS or load it directly to my GPSr?

Mpilchfamily - I planned on adding them (or what would fit) to an 8GB SD Card, but since i have to run so many queries I will just add them for the local areas for now and section it off for areas I plan on visiting at a later date.

I don't know if you figured out a way of putting the whole state of Florida on your GPSr unit, by the way what unit do you have?, but this is what I did to load all of WNY on mine (Magellan Explorist GC).

Setup the PQ to have:

• 1,000 caches
  • select the types of caches & type of containers you want
  • choose the option of "I've haven't found" so it only displays caches that you have not found
  • make sure that the size & difficulty is not checked (so it loads all the sizes and difficulties)
  • if you just want Florida then choose that state
  • Under origin choose "my home location" so it starts from your house
  • with a radius (distance from your home location out) of #, enter how many miles you want to travel. I use this website, Radius around a point to calculate the distance. It doesn't matter that the circle would cover other states because earlier you choose to limit to Florida
  • For the "placed during", this is the part that takes the longest. What you need to do is choose a start date, I chose the earliest I can set 01/01/1996, and then you want to choose another date that keeps your PQ under 1,000; for me it was 06/01/2006. What this does is "show me all caches that were placed between those two dates. Then you would create another PQ using the sames settings but choose the starting date as one day after the ending of the first one. So my second PQ would have a starting date of 06/02/2006 and an ending date of whatever would give me just under 1,000 caches. When you click on submit at the bottom of the page, the page will show you a cache count at the top of the screen; just change the dates for each PQ until you are just under 1,000. Each one of mine are around 970 caches.
  • Make sure that the attributes of include and exclude are not checked.

I got these instructions from a very similar question I had posted here, my orignal question. If you have any more questions please ask.

The problem you might run into is that caches go missing, get disabled, get archived, etc. If you use old PQ data, then you might end up wasting your time looking for a cache you downloaded "a while ago".

It's best to run fresh PQ's, once a week at least, to avoid disappointment/aggravation/time wasting as much as possible.