Using a Auto Sat Nav for Caching in UK

Hello everyone, Can anyone advise! Although using my Android for Caching is succesful, the batteries never last long. So I was wondering if there are any Sat Nav systems like TOM TOM that can be used for caching? ie entering the co-ordinates for destination or GC???? or waypoints?

Hello everyone, Can anyone advise! Although using my Android for Caching is succesful, the batteries never last long. So I was wondering if there are any Sat Nav systems like TOM TOM that can be used for caching? ie entering the co-ordinates for destination or GC???? or waypoints?

Most all in-car units work OK (but, just OK). You will run into the same problem with the battery drain. I think too (could be wrong), when you wear out that internal rechargeable battery, they are either exceedingly difficult or even IMPOSSIBLE to replace.

There are still similar disadvantages to using an in-car -- usually bulky and somewhat difficult to hold, most ARE NOT water resistant, very few are built to the ruggedness standards of a hand-held unit (almost sounds like an Android or other iPhone, does it not?).

They can be used for geocaching, but that is not what they were intended for.

Dare I make a suggestion.... or can you read my mind?

How long is not long in terms of battery life and have you tried to improve it (e.g. ensure WiFi / BT switched off, stop data sync, switch to 2G only, etc) ? Do you have the screen on all the time or occasionally whilst you get close to a cache ? I can comfortably get 5-6 hours from a battery charge by reducing the phones power drain.

Depending on the phone, you can probably pick up a high capacity or a spare battery for a few quid that would make it last even longer. I only use my Wildfire caching and couldn't contemplate not having it and having to use just a GPSr or paper !