Using a SatNav unit

zodiac73

Hi,

although I have got a handheld GPS somewhere very safe (in other words I don't know where I've put it) I have got a SatNav that will navigate / guide to a co-ordinate. Is this going to be easy to use for geocaching or not much use?

It's a Binatone A350 if that helps at all.

z.

When you say SatNav i think a GPSr with Satellite images not a car nav unit. You can get by with a nav unit like that as long as you can disable any snap to function it has. Most nav units will keep the pointer snapped to the nearest road and are not very handy when going off road. But many of them can disable that feature and transition into some sort of pedestrian or off road setting. So it may be doable but it sure is a pain. I did it with a Nuvi 1300 for a few months before getting a eTrex Legend H.

If you can set it to pedestrian mode, that will help. Watch its battery life and if it isn't "ruggedized" or waterproof, treat it with kid gloves. We met folks who started out with an automotive SatNav, but kept it in a Ziplock bag. Hope that safe spot your GPS is in reveals itself soon....

If you can set it to pedestrian mode, that will help. Watch its battery life and if it isn't "ruggedized" or waterproof, treat it with kid gloves. We met folks who started out with an automotive SatNav, but kept it in a Ziplock bag. Hope that safe spot your GPS is in reveals itself soon....

Yeah good point about battery life, I have left it with a flat battery for a while and so the capacity will be probably diminished now, and it wasn't great to begin with!

As the GPSr wasn't a cheap unit, I hope I find it too!! :)

You can geocache with one, but it's not the best choice. Besides being awkward to hold in the hand they aren't rugged, water resistant, the battery life is poor and there usually is no compass navigation screen (the Garmin Nuvi 500 series being the only exception that I'm aware of).